Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya all,

I found a guy selling a set of 2" flares at a really great price so the question is besides letting me put bigger tires on the car are they any other disadvantages or advantages to it;)?
thanks in advance and
Zya
yuichi

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Any disadvantages to flare's?</b>

hey yuichi i don't like the bubble look myself but thats just my opnion.but i did u.p.s your datsun racing caps

thankz for your order

z ya john

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Any disadvantages to flare's?</b>

Never had flares on a Z, but based on another experience with them, I'd never have them. When I first met her, my girlfriend (now wife) had this blue VW bug with fiberglass flares on it. But not for long. "Max" vibrated so much that they routinely cracked and fell off. Or she'd brush against something and crack or rip one off. More than once, I'd arrive for a date only to find one of Max's fenders in the back seat and I knew the movie was off. Fortunately, I know glassing, so I eventually rebuilt and strengthened all four as they fell off one by one.
Yeah, it was a long time ago and they weren't exactly flares of the type that go on Zs. And I know Zs don't vibrate like that little buzz bomb. But I still have never liked flares ever since.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Disadvantages:
1: no longer stock looking, though VR's kit can fool you
2: cost to buy and install
3: serious flare can require cutting wheelwells
4: bad install leads to later problems, of course

Advantages:
1: No other way to use wider wheels without changing rears to a solid and tubbing the car
2: Looks very aggressive when done right

greg
71 240z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Go For it.....</b>

I think they look great if done right. There is several styles on the market, and they each have their own look. I've seen them on cars like Scottie's and think that is real aggressive looking... I've also seen the ones on the Camel GT series cars which are really big... I think IMHO that is to much... but were needed for the large racing tires. I say go for it...

Dennis

If you decide to pass let me know... I'll pick them up.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll pass

besides i'm already getting my corvette hood;)

thanks all for your input i like the original lines of the Z but my hood will look funky;)
zya
yuichi

·
Registered
432 Posts
Igot flares for sale cheap

I bought a set from a friend they are like the ones motorsport sells (IMSA style) i paid $100 for all four front and rear I will sell them for the same price you pay freight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.