ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any body know how much the AC weighs?

594 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Brendan 
#1 ·
How much does the compressor weigh on a ZX?
****, if I can get rid of 50 pounds, I'll
suffer the heat.

#2 ·
> How much does the compressor weigh on a ZX?
> ****, if I can get rid of 50 pounds, I'll
> suffer the heat.

I just bolted mine back on a month or so ago. (Just in time for the weather to turn really nice here in Phx!) And my guess is 40 lbs.

Would the difference in performance be noticeable? If everyone thinks so, I may take mine off until summer. I'm already several hundred pounds lighter because of the fiberglass kit.

Steve G.

#4 ·
Sorry, not ZX, but check out this Subtle-Z

Mine is the Velo Rossa kit. It's the 250GTO rebody. I'm sure most of the regulars here are sick of me talking about the VR. But I love it and it is after all, mechanically a Z.

I really cut a LOT of metal off the car. Hood, front fenders, entire roof and rear hatch and both bumpers. That is a whole lotta weight. The concern about the rigidity of the chassis is addressed through a series of welded braces that run front to rear up the side rails, up to the shock towers, across the rear towers and really makes it quite rigid. It's only for the Z, not the ZX. VR does offer a fiberglass rebody for the ZX but you'd have to talk to them about that.

Those of you that want to keep the lines of your existing Z and shave a bunch of weight should look at the Subtle-Z.

#5 ·
Steve

How is that project going. anything new. I'm interested in it, even if everyone is tired of hearing about it. When are there going to be some more pics on your site. Not trying to rush you though. Although the site you just posted did say it could be done in afew weekends. That would have to be some very intense weekends. Z ya

#6 ·
Subtle Kit for ZX

Hi.
I talked to they guy before.
John sayed that it is intirly possible, will cost about same, can be resonably custom, and will take ~ 3 month to complete.

Thou, it doesnot really offer lots of weight reduction, if you think about it. Not much difference between stock, and glass fenders. Plus extra weight of rear once. Only place where you do cut is hood..

Just my penny&1/2

Eugene '83ZXT

#7 ·
Re: Steve

I am working on some updates to my site. I have a few new pictures showing engine bay, dash and instrument pod. Plus some more body shots. I am also updating the text. Anyone who has already seen the site knows that it's more like a photo diary than a how-to. Except for the White Gauges for download and the how-to-build a K&N Cone filter intake with 3 pipe. I actually originally made the site so my dad could see the progress from his home in Indiana, but I like that other people are interested in seeing it as well.

Your comments and suggestions for improvements as well as your criticisms are always welcome.

As for the weekend completion schedule. I really think that if you din't do any engine work, didn't do any interior work and knew what you were doing with fiberglass... You probably could get it done in several weekends. The body mounting is best done with two people and a BIG air compressor. I of course am going to the extreme with a complete frame up restoration, new suspension, engine rebuild, custom interior and dash, the works.

Steve Graber

> How is that project going. anything new. I'm
> interested in it, even if everyone is tired
> of hearing about it. When are there going to
> be some more pics on your site. Not trying
> to rush you though. Although the site you
> just posted did say it could be done in afew
> weekends. That would have to be some very
> intense weekends. Z ya

#8 ·
For info; I just weighed some unused parts from my '72 aftermarket A/C. The compressor was 18 lb. and the mounting bracket, tensioner & bolts came to another 12 lb

There's more weight to be saved in the heat exchangers, hoses, evaporator, etc. Not to mention engine drag - even with the compressor disengaged the belt and pulleys absorb power and add rotational inertia.

> Would the difference in performance be noticeable?

Not sure about that. If anybody has access to a drag strip simulation program they could probably tell us what a 1-2% weight saving does to Z-car acceleration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.