ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason why I'm asking if I can disconnect the temp. switch is because it is shorting my wiring everytime I hook it up and these wires that I have in the pictures, I cannot find it in the wiring diagram. I'm thinking the previous owner already rewired it. I don't have a website to post pictures but this link will lead you to some pics with the wiring. 76 280z 2+2.

http://photos.yahoo.com/joeysbettas

1)The thermotime and water temp sensor are wire correctly using a connector.
2) The yellow wire is connected to the thermal transmitter
3) white wire loose (originally connected to the water temp switch)
4) black wire is ground loose ( also connected to the water switch)
5) red wire is connected to a PART ( unknown to me) with the vacuum hose on the front and back that is on top of the Thermostat housing. What do you call this part anyway?

The white and black wires were loose when I bought the car about a month ago. I had an injector problem and the mechanic connected the white and black to the water temp switch and it starts to blow the fuses for the gauges.

Please help.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
im confused on your question! whats your problem? your engine wiring harness is shorting out?

ive got a 76 2+2 and PROUD OF IT!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, everytime that black and white wires are connected to the water temp switch. I cant figure out if that 2 wires really should go to that temp switch.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
black/white is usually ign switch power (12v) if it's on that side....does the car even run? that black and white will go to the + of your coil.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
can ya take a pictuire of the wires somehow so we can help ya out?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bubbleguinea, I saw your Z in progress. Very impressive. My son is 13 and wanted to work/help me with this Z also. Maybe I can have it as a Father/son project. Anyway, I do not have a site to post the pictures but if you cut and paste this link, it will show you an album.

http://photos.yahoo.com/joeysbettas

Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok here are some of the pictures I have

What is this part called anyway? Connected to the red wire and black (ground)

Mine is the one on the left, new.

Yellow wire to the Thermal transmitter

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
ok a couple of things....

A. find out where that vaccum hose goes on top of the dashpot (thing on top of the throttle body with the white cap) NOTHING is supposed to be coneected here.. that loose vaccum COULD be one reason why it isnt running right...

B. the last pic..with the conector on the shock tower.....where in the main wiring harness is that? i dont remember that sort of connection right there....

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Long story short:

download that "EFI BIBLE" which is referenced on this forum within the last three days.
it is a complete explanation of th entire 75-78 EFI system, and from the diagrams and pinouts, you can do some tests that will reveal if you ahve the right wires to the right component.

It's really straightforward, and easy to check following the directions they give.

I have a 76 FEDERAL 2+2, meaning NO CATALYST, and I live in CALIFORNIA! What a rush every time I get to argue with the Smog Tech, and then they open the door, and see that big "NON-Catalyst" sticker there.... and their heads slump...

I also have a 75 2+2 (Fairlady Z) as well as a 74 (late) 260Z 2+2, and an 83 280ZXT 2+2.... not to mention the 79 280ZXT 2+2 parts car (donor non-t-top roof for the 83...)

So yeah, I kinda like 2+2's. Probably because they hold more records, and win more races, historically that is, than coupes...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.