ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was suprised by a response earlier stating that junkyards only contain "junk" I totally disagree and I have examples. Yes it used to be different to an extend but people crash nice low mileage cars everyday. These cars have many parts that can be reused or used for testing ideas. I personally had a RX7 that had over $3000 in suspension that ended up in a junkyard. A tree fell on it during a storm. Insurance replaced everything including the suspension and engine mods with money, but I had to let them take the car as a whole. I was planning a Z at the time anyway and didn't need the Mazda parts, so I told a friend and he picked up the whole setup for $500. The good thing was the parts were 4 months old and we both benefited. I also found some extremely nice leather recaro's for $100 apiece. Took them from the yard and sold them two days later for $400. Please explain to me how these people and me would have been better off getting these parts from a dealer or even mail order and paying 200% markup. I know this doesn't mention tranny's like the other post but my 5spd came from a yard and so far I've only been able to put 100,000 hard miles on it with no trouble. Point being you have to know what your looking at and not buy the "junk"

Later
Matt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>Good Deals</b>

I liked what ya said. I couldn't agree with you more. I get a kick out of finding a good deal at the wrecking yard. It also let's me look at some of the stuff I was wondering about.

Count me in for a trip to the wrecking yard on any weekend. Here the yards are open on Saturday and Sunday...

Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Tell ya what, My last 3 birthdays I'm asked "what do you want to do?". It is now tradition. I would love to work at a junkyard just so I could get first crack at what comes in. I have a junkyard dog too, Subaru mirrors, even had mitsubishi rims at one time, got my 16 inchers off a junked 83 300zx...$150, they beautiful too

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yarding

That's what we use to call "yarding" Nice way to spend some time on the weekend. You never know what you will find.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Good Deals

Matt, agree with you 100%. My Z came from a junkyard. I was lucky enough to find a car with minor damage and missing drivetrain that was written off. I am proud to say my car and the entire drivetrain was "previously-owned". After all, I think it turned out OK. Nothing like discovering diamonds in the rough.

Scottie

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Im lucky MD has one thats open 6 days a week N/C

N/C

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
There's a Sucker Born Every Minute...

and four minutes in time are represented above.

If you like "yarding," fellas, why not try dumpster-diving too? Shoot, that way the stuff is free - unless, of course, you get Maced by a security guard when you're trying to make off with a really boss pair of bell bottom Jaymar Sans-a-Belt slacks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: There's a Sucker Born Every Minute...

Mr. "Slim",

Didn't your Mother teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say you shouldn't say anything at all? I have noticed several posts from you that are somewhat negative or derogatory. I think it is wonderful for you to give technical advice or your opinion on a subject, however I don't think it is necessary to criticize others or put them or their actions down. Furthermore, this kind of behavior is detrimental to the discussion forum.

That is merely “my” opinion. Thanks to everyone who has given me advice in the past.

Sincerely,

Rev. Jefferey K. Green

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: I agree with Rev. Green</b>

Nice to see a man of the cloth step up to the plate and hit a home run.

Slim... what's the deal... you've been out of line for the awhile... are you doing a divorce or something?

Dennis

·
Registered
100 Posts
Slim, can you send me some money?

I didn't hit that lotto. I'll try Saturday. But until then I've got some rust on my 77 needs a fixin'. Oh I gotta get back to work so the kids can eat tonight!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: I agree with Rev. Green

If he is getting a divorce, then he will soon be "yarding" it like the rest of us unless the ex takes his ride.

Scottie

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Who's the sucker now?

If you consider junk cars to be a waste of time, how about parts cars? A bigger waste?
Man, I try not to crack on all the rich dudes who just go out and spend money to get nice rides, why do some of them have to get on us guys who don't mind doing a little leg work to save some serious bucks.
If you read any major sports car publications, you'll find numerous examples of people taking other peoples junk and restoring them back into some rare or exotic cars. Most of us can't hope to find that 300SL Gullwing or Jaguar D-Type sitting in an old barn, so we turn to the next best source- junk cars.
And all this from a man who orders from JC Whittney.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RE: Who's the sucker now?

What, he orders from JC Whitney and is talking smack? I was trying to let this go but now I am rolling on the floor laughing. Not that JC Whitney is that bad but it is certainly not any better than going to the junkyard. They buy there parts from vendors how over order or have parts they can't sell cause the quality is not up to par with the competion. Yes there are exceptions. What exactly does Slim's car cosist of has anyone seen it, since he buys new everything and has no used parts he should have one helluva Z. Just wondering how it compares to most of the other Z's on this board since most of us have used some "junk" parts, I doubt I would turn down a race if he is close to me. Show me the JC Whitney power.

Later
Matt

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
RE: Who's the sucker now?

I buy alot of new parts. In fact my wife likes to joke to her freinds that " I jacked up the radiator cap and ran a new car under it " To which I respond " No honey, that isn't true. The radiator cap is new too. " I have kept track and I have about $15,000 in the car to date but I want to point out that it is just stupid arrogance to tell people that you buy everything new when you could get a perfectly good part for far less from " the yard ". My spoiler cost me $15.00 from a yard, unpainted but installed off the front of a wrecked 77 Z coupe. Vic Brit sells that same spoiler for about $125.00. Now that it is painted I bet that no one could tell the difference. My AC and 5 speed came from a wreck and my 0-60 time is about 6 seconds flat. Try that with a "junk" transmission. I live in the Mojave desert so I think that I would notice if my AC was "junk". My 3.9:1 LSD came off of a wreck in a yard and it cost $75.00. March up to the counter at your local Nissan dealer and try to buy a 3.9:1 LSD for 10 times what I paid and they will ask you to leave. I think sir, that you could learn much from Z car guys who share or exceed your passion but lack your cash. I have, and when I want to work on my car I find that although they lack cash and tend as you might put it to dumpster dive, they will be right there with me helping me with my car and sharing what they have learned. In fact, I have a freind who has won Best 240Z 3 years in a row at a Peoples Choice car show and I am pretty sure his entire car including its spotless Turbo ZX motor crawled out of a pick and pull. Spending money foolishly is just... well foolish and for fools.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Nope, Slim's Not Going Through a Divorce.

And it's not likely to happen since he's got a pre-nuptial agreement in his corporate safe deposit box that'd make that a real bad move on his wife's part.

Slim's out of line? I don't think so. When he imparts the things he's learned the hard way, he realize he's not talking to everybody. Wisdom falls on deaf ears more often than not.

There are tons of folks who take great comfort in doing things the wrong way, or the hardest way. They don't listen to anybody, they make the same mistakes their grandaddies made - only those mistakes keep getting more expensive, and they glory in goofing up. They're the fellows who can't wait to post the news that they've smashed up their cars on the web, and the guys who tow the remains of their most recent spin-out to the local tavern to impress their buddies. To a junk yard owner, those boys are almost as good as owning the phone company.

Ol' Slim just passed one of those fellows on his way back from lunch. He's about the same age, he was also born on the poor side of town, and he always calls Slim "Easy Money," when he opens the door for him. Slim just smiles and says thanks.

For those who gain an advantage by what Slim's picked up along the way, he's proud the have helped. You're the silent acquirers and applicators of knowledge who'll probably end up getting what you want from your cars the best way there is.

For the rest of you, the great and constant choir of bellyachers who insist on the trial-and-error method, let Ol' Slim cite the Scripture and say, "Go on the way you're going." The world needs recycled scrap metal, desperately broke swap meet peddlers and cheap, half-finished project cars too.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: Nope, Slim's Not Going Through a Divorce.

And it's not likely to happen since he's got a pre-nuptial agreement in his corporate safe deposit box that'd make that a real bad move on his wife's part.

You're a real warm and fuzzy kind of guy aren't you?

And considering as how I'm a>female and b> make more money than all of my previous b/f's, I doubt that it's *money* that turns me on.

Slim's out of line? I don't think so. When he imparts the things he's learned the hard way, he realize he's not talking to everybody. Wisdom falls on deaf ears more often than not.

You do have a rather high opinion of yourself don't you? But then again, I've noticed that people who refer to themselves in the third person have a bit of an inferitority complex. The whole "little big man" syndrome.

And as for the rest of us, we like the feeling that working on our cars, getting a "find" from the junk yard, and swearing, sweating and bleeding are all part of the fun.

I love ya too sweetheart, but I certainly don't agree with ya.

S

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Nope, Slim's Not Going Through a Divorce.</

People who can find good deals in yards, or find ways to make things work that normally should not...are in great company. Alot of people criticized some of the great inventors of our time..calling them foolish...wasting your time and money. Now I’m not saying that anyone here is going to invent something that will change the world, they are creating and inventing for their own pleasue..and if it fails...it was a lesson that they will not repeat ( at least the same way) again. These inventors I speak of were the Henry Ford's Ben Franklin’s ,and even Albert Einestine.....who even said him self "Imagination is more important than knowledge"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.