Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
If you guys could please answer the questions it would be great.

1. What is the best riding (as in smooth ride) strut on the market (Money is no object)???

2. What is the best performance Strut on the market (Money still no object)??

3. Smoothest ride for the best money in a strut?

4.Best Performance/Smooth ride for the best money in a strut?

5. Are Monroe Struts worth a Dam%?
6. Are the Struts you can buy at Hibdons Tire, AutoZone, Pepboys any good???

Please I need to know what are the best Struts

Dustin Morris

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: Answer these Strut Questions for the Good of a

Dustion,
I can not answer all of your questions, but here is a little info. Monroes seem to be okay for a non-performance strut. They are reasonably priced and fit fine. Checker carries them. I currently am using them with the tokico springs and have blown the rears due to the lowered car. I am changing to KYB. I have the sturts but have not yet used them. Gabriel, from Autozone and Pepboys are junk. I went through about 4 sets of front ones with STOCK springs in about 9 months. The fronts do NOT fit right and the gland nut is garbage metal and does not seat all the way. I blew a rear in two months, oil leaked everywhere. I DO NOT recommend putting time into installing those, it will be wasted time. Besides, every time you pull it apart to change them, it affects your alignment badly. Not the rears, just the fronts.
That is all I have for now until I put my KYB's in the rear. I am happy with the monroe's up front. NOTE: This is everyday driving, NO racing except between stop lights. Not a heavily loaded car either, just one person, nothing in the back most of the time.
Joshua L.

·
Registered
529 Posts
tokicotokicotokicotokicotokicotokicotokico

tokico
tokico
tokico
tokico
tokico
tokico
tokico
tokico

Ian

·
Registered
650 Posts

well, i have KYB's at the moment all the way around, love em. tokico's i wasnt happy with, but my friend has the 5 way adjustables and the ride is great. i would love to have a set of GAB also, but they are very pricy.

·
Registered
26 Posts

> Hello,
> If you guys could please answer the
> questions it would be great.

> 1. What is the best riding (as in smooth
> ride) strut on the market (Money is no
> object)???

> 2. What is the best performance Strut on the
> market (Money still no object)??

> 3. Smoothest ride for the best money in a
> strut?

> 4.Best Performance/Smooth ride for the best
> money in a strut?

> 5. Are Monroe Struts worth a Dam%?
> 6. Are the Struts you can buy at Hibdons
> Tire, AutoZone, Pepboys any good???

> Please I need to know what are the best
> Struts

> Dustin Morris
I put on tokico illuminas and love them. set it on 1, and you have instant cushy, 3 is where i like to drive it on, 5 is ultra hard, great for racing. Whatever you decide to get call RD Enterprises. They every brand you could want.800-683-2890. or www.shox.com They were the cheapest price on illuminas I could find.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

I,m ridin on KYB GR2's - medium stiff, an all around driveable strut- love'm

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Strut/Bad Strut

With all this discussion about struts, what are the symptoms that the struts need replacing?

Mike79ZX

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Re: Good Strut/Bad Strut

> With all this discussion about struts, what
> are the symptoms that the struts need
> replacing?

> Mike79ZX
A couple ways to tell. Oil running down the outside of them is the surest way to know they are shot - unless of course they are gas struts.
Do the old shock test. Go to front of car and start using your weight to get the front end bouncing. Release the car. The harmonic should continue for about 1 - 1 1/2 cycles and quit. If it goes beyond that - the car keeps bouncing up and down - the strut is shot. Go to the back end and repeat.
Remember - struts are like shocks - they are motion dampeners. Springs are what support the car and allow the body/suspension to move somewhat independently of each other and the struts/shocks dampen that movement so once a displacement occurs, it doesn't go on forever. The stiffer the strut the greater amount of the wheel motion is transfered to the body - ie: rougher ride. It also keeps the wheels in firmewr contact with the road surface (it's harder for the tire to bounce away from it).
Very rudimentary explanation but conceptually sound. Hope this helps some.
Merry Christmas,
Phantom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.