ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

another problem - electrical this time !

332 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  aZman 
#1 ·
Well I have another problem with my 80 ZX. ALl the ligths wree workign perfectly inside and out but now only the headlight work. No side markers,no taillights, no brake lights, dash lights or interior lights. I know it is electrical but coudl it be as simple as a relay since it is all of them suddenly? I have checked all my fuses and they are good. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

BOB

#2 ·
Have you done anything to your car recently? Anything electric at all?
I know I used to do one thing, and without realising it, wiped out something else.

Did they just go suddenly? Any warning?

Do the door lights work? (ie ceiling globe)

I'd guess it's the switch... or maybe lighting relay...? Though that wouldn't explain the interiors (dash) not working.

#3 ·
Bob,
I would clean the clips on the fuse box real good and squeeze the clips closer together for better contact. Then use diletric grease on the fuses and replace. Its probably best to remove the box from the kick panel to clean, also the wire next to it.
Check fusible links for corrosion and clean it up.
Mine turned out to be the fuses. Same problem on my 76, no rhyme or reason, just the next day it didn't work. Talk about wanting to throw a match on the works,,
good luck, take yer time.
Ron

#8 ·
Ah yes. I forgot completely! :) ( as per Iteberle)
When I got my 81, the connector from the combo switch to the main loom was badly melted.
I had to cut it off and put a new one in.
This was causing all sorts of problems with my lights.
Maybe check it out for any signs of damage.

#9 ·
I had the exact problem on my 83zx. I am not a tec so bear with me. On my car ntxt to the battery is a small compartment in the firewall. One of the leads from the pos side of the battery goes into it. That line was almost coroded in half. I cut the bad part out, spliced it together and have never had the problem again. Hope this is some help. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.