ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! i would like to hear from any 260z owners who have used flat top carbs and what you can do to make them better. i want to set them up and try them. the car has been sitting for three years. i dont plan on breaking the speed of sound i just want to pass ca. smog. i dont belive they are that bad of a carb but i will give it a try! thanks for any help.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'll give you a clue on this one. I've had my 260 for almost 2 years now. I've messed with these carbs on and off for almost the whole time. I actually had to wait until new years to get it inspected do to emissions tests. I am now, at this very moment in my livingroom floor, tearing down the SU's I went and bought from Greg today(BTW there '70-'71 according to drawings on ZTherapy's page) I got the flat tops running real good(instant pedal response, good idle), but they wouldn't pass a piss test no matter what I did. I suggest trash 'em and get some SU's out of the scrap yard and rebuild them yourself. If you want, you pay for the shipping and I'll give you mine. Hope this helps you see the light.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> Hey! i would like to hear from any 260z
> owners who have used flat top carbs and what
> you can do to make them better. i want to
> set them up and try them. the car has been
> sitting for three years. i dont plan on
> breaking the speed of sound i just want to
> pass ca. smog. i dont belive they are that
> bad of a carb but i will give it a try!
> thanks for any help.

What part of Calif. are you in? If you live in the SF Bay area, take your car to Darrell's Datsun in San Jose. He's a wiz at getting carbs to pass smog. I have a early model 260Z and he did my carbs many years ago without a problem. I wouldn't recommend going with webers or 240Z carbs if you don't have to...the webers won't pass smog, and the 240's don't draft right. The carbs on the 260 sucked because they were making a stopgap car to meet new emission standards in 1974. A few modifications will get it to run right. When I was looking for a mechanic to fix my problem, I looked all over - I even went to a shop where the mechanic OWNED a 260Z, and he would not work on the carbs they're a pain in the ass is what he told me. If Darrell can't fix em' - maybe nobody can. z_ya_later

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.