ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "new" '72 is acting alot like my dead '71 used to. At normal speeds, everything's fine. But at an idle it seems like the voltage is really low. The first thing you notice is the turn signals blink really slow. If the headlights are on, the signals are like maybe 4 seconds per flash. Is this just 'the way it is' with a 240, or do I need a regulator, or do I maybe have some burned out diodes in the alternator?

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have another known good battery try swapping them first and see if the problem goes away. You could have shorted cells in the battery. You might first check the battery voltage with the engine off. If it's a decent fully charged battery you should have 12 volts minumum. With shorted cells you could have 10 or 8 volts. Enough to start the engine. However, the shorted cells in the battery draw a heavy current and at idle will pull the alternator down with it, thus the slow blinkers. IF you switch batteries and the problem persists disconnect the battery while the engine is running. If the engine stalls you may want to think about getting a diode array and brushes or just my a replacement alternator.

Frank

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
My 72 has since new been a little slow on the blinkers, and a little dimming of the headlights at idle. Often bumping the idle up to perhaps 800-850 will help. Not saying you don't have a weak alternator, but the early models were not that strong at idle if you have everything running. Later models had a larger crank pulley which will spin the alternator a little faster. I used that and it worked quite nicely, except it was not fully compatible with the aftermarket a/c. If you don't have the a/c, a later crank pulley will help. (Look for one from a 260, still small belts but larger diameter). Also heavy duty flasher will help with the flashing speed, however you will need to check your turn signal bulbs occasionally since it will not slow down or stop when a bulb goes out. Wouldn't hurt to make sure all connections you get your hands on during maintenance, are nice and shiney. Cleaning the contacts on the 'combination switch' for the headlights will help with dimming at idle also. They quite commonly get a bit burned/corroded.

·
Registered
8 Posts
wipers won't stop at the right position

i have a 74 260z and when you turn the wiper switch on it will only work at the highest speed. when you turn them offfff, they stop at wherever they are at when you flip them offf. i tried another wiper /light switch from a 75 2280z and it didn't work either but did make buzzing noise from somewhere near the fuse box. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: wipers won't stop at the right position

You might have one or both of the following problems:

There is an accessory relay on the passenger kick panel that is in line with the wiper switch. Check this to make sure it's working correctly.

There is also a relay on the motor of the wiper, this could also be bad, or maybe just this one is bad causing the accesory relay to buzz.

Since the wipers are just stopping wherever you shut them off at, says that the location switch on the back of the motor has either grounded itself out, or has been disconnected. Fixing this is tedious, but can be done.

However, it might be easiest if you contact the local boneyard and see how much a replacement wiper motor would be, it might be the cheapest way to fix all those problems.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Re: wipers won't stop at the right position

Mechanism that determines where the wipers stop is in the wiper motor itself. Series of contacts and a cam mechanism. btw my 240 has done the stop at full UP since new. I've been meaning to adjust this for almost 30 YEARS!!! Just got used to it and flip wipers back on then off and everything ok. I consider it part of his personality now so unless the motor burns up, I'm going to leave it for another 30 years!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.