ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to the salesman at the car sho today. They have this filter that talks a little of the oil at a time and filters it to 1 micron and is supposed to be good for 6 months. It works with the reguar filter. So, then getting to oil, they have this huge line of oils for everything, all synthetic. They were supposedly the first to have synthetic. Anyways, they claim that their oil is good for 25K or 1 year, and the other better stuff is good for 35K. This is changing the filter every 6k hen using their second filter, every 3k without it. He recommened 0-30W. Has anybody heard of this stuff. There is a garauntee on your engine if something happens to it, but how hard would it be to prove to them that it is their oil, VERY hard I suspect. I just wanted some input, it is like $24 a gallon, so about $6 a quart! I will stick with the stuff I use now though, castrol.
Joshua L.

The address is: amsoil.com

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
> Amsoil is probably the best synthetic oil
> made.
I agree! It has saved me while racing during some bad moments. Lost a fan belt on air-cooled corvair, had oil temp gauge PEGGED at over 350+.
Amsoil held together with no bearing damage!
Same thing happened during a race the year before with mineral oil, and I bought a new bottom-end. Gear boxes like it too!

·
Registered
431 Posts
> I agree! It has saved me while racing during
> some bad moments. Lost a fan belt on
> air-cooled corvair, had oil temp gauge
> PEGGED at over 350+.
> Amsoil held together with no bearing damage!
> Same thing happened during a race the year
> before with mineral oil, and I bought a new
> bottom-end. Gear boxes like it too!

I have seen an independent bearing load destructive test on various brands of oil and there was no way to destroy the bearing using the combination of Amsoil and DWG oil treatment. they used all the weights they had available for the test and it simply would not fail, there weren't even any visible sign of wear. BTW... how long should i wait on a new motor to start using a synthetic????

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
> I agree! It has saved me while racing during
> some bad moments. Lost a fan belt on
> air-cooled corvair, had oil temp gauge
> PEGGED at over 350+.
> Amsoil held together with no bearing damage!
> Same thing happened during a race the year
> before with mineral oil, and I bought a new
> bottom-end. Gear boxes like it too!

Alright, a Corvair owner, it's nice to know there is a real streetcar owner with a feel for cars that can handle. What year(s) did you own? I know it's off the Z subject a bit but I had a 65, 140 heads and got a spring loaded idler for the fanbelt that fixed the problems with looseing fan belts at higher RPMs.. I sure loved that car though, hated the heater and had to modify a better one but as far as a car that can corner it was one that was very hard to beat. Used to take it up on this mountain road in Idaho and find cars to race down and beat a fair share of porches with it. The only car that give me a good run for the money was a 240Z and that influenced my next car decision and so I'm a multi Z owner now but if I ever find a good corvair I will get one again. Man they handled great and with the 140 heads they had some fair acceleration. I almost got a V8 conversion for one but couldn't find a 66 transmission to use so I gave up on that but for someone who hates even the thought of using one in a Z for a corvair the V8 will make the best car around as it's a true mid-engine setup with almost a perfect 50/50 weight balance. Just needed the strength of the 66-69 transaxle setup. I also had a shot at getting a weber IDA setup but the guy wanted too much money for them, that would have been a great setup. Ok, so much about my days of a corvair owner, tell me a bit about yours.. If you still have one and are looking for parts I have a friend who has around 5 of them and may have what your looking for if you still own one.... Take er easy....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.