ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 300zx na She was born in 5/89. I have a built 307 I took out of my camaro and I'm debating putting it in the Z. Anyone know if it's ever been done? Or where can I get a good turbo motor?

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
First off its stupid. Second off who builds a 305? At least step it up to a 350 if you're gonna build a SBC. Built 307 is putting out how much in the way of power? Oh thats right probably less then the stock TT motor.

·
Registered
152 Posts
its a 307, and you can build them up decently enough. its been done and if you do it correctly youll be happy with it. if it came out of an 89 or newer F-body it wasnt carburated. theres only 1 way to get that V8 rumble, and thats with a V8. easily capable of spanking most of these yahoos who spend 2 to 3x the amount to get the same HP from thier jap sixes.

but if your car runs good now, leave it be. if your hellbent on the V8 then sell yoru N/A and buy a z32 that doesnt run, or has engine problems. use the money you have left over to do the swap. make sure to keep the board updated on your progress, V8's are where its @.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The thought of putting the American Muscle into the Nissan is very tempting. But there are many things you need to realize. First I dont know exactly how built your 307 is. A small guess its probably a 302 or 305 bored out or an older 307. I am not puting that motor down but I believe depending on the year about 170 hp to the ground. Then you have to calculate the weight also. The time spent converting it over, wiring might be a little fun. Another guess is if it is a 307 its carburated. Now you have to regulate the fuel and figure out your ignition. When you finally get all the fab. work done you have dumped alot of money in it. I was thinking about doing it also, but I am a ford person. Its been done with the 350's so I am sure it can be done you can probably do a search on the forums and get more info. But unless you have a serious powerhouse with the 307, I would do the TTSwap and infact hopefully I will get stationed close to some good z parts houses. Leaving out in 14 days for basic. And have decided to keep the z and do the swap. If your car is a daily driver I would try to stay away from the V8 swap. Just my opinion, but you can search it and look at what others opinions are, Personally keep the camaro on the road and the nissan, so you fit in no matter what hang out night it is. Kevin

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Sorry he said 307 I was thinkiong bored over 305 mainly cause of how many Camaros came with 305s. Also to build that motor to make some serious power takes a good bit of cash. I dont know if you looked into the price recently for a set of full length headers but they arent priced like they used to be and that goes for everything else as well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i like what he said about people spending so much money on the Japanese sixes only to come up short of the v8.

Sorry guy, but I used to have an IROC-Z and loved it, but the 305 in my IROC came up short at least 10 horses to the 6-cyl. NA Z that I have now. Not knockin' the v8's , but you gotta give the sixes their props.

·
Registered
152 Posts
you could throw a turbo on it, but then you still have the same v6 torque @ low end and you have to worry about more things to breakdown. admittingly the 307 probably isnt the best v8 you could start with, but a nice v8 built up half ass decent can easily spank any v6 with the same amount of $$ in it. and the v8 will be reliable with less moving parts, and cleaner with less piping. **** if you want you could even S/C or turbo a v8, then your in a whole new class. and not to mention they already have time proven trannies and rear-ends that are capable of puttin git to the ground, w/o breaking. unlike Z trannies that like to go out on you from time to time - and cost an arm and a leg to repair/replace.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I like domestic cars but it really depends on what he wants, Dont get me wrong Gm did make some good motors, but not near to the tech. of the nissan. Its sad that V8 people want to compete. I have been on both sides, a carburated V8 that is built up with 260 or so duration on the cam is gonna suck as a daily driver, and not be that reliable. I dont hear of to many people building up the 307, in the short track world its either a 350 or a 283. If he supercharges it or turbo he would probably have to rebuild it unless he went with low comp. pistons which probably he didn't. Once the fab work is done he will have a ton of money in it and still probably wont have 280 hp to the ground. People around here are real unrealistic when they say how much Hp they have. They read boxes and go with it. If I went by boxes my mustang would have 800 hp but realistically it has around 300. People spending money on the V6 is not bad. Specially when that V8 is carburated runing rough, drinking fuel. This stuff can go back and forth all day, but I have an NA and have beat a couple mustangs, 3LT1 camaros, raced from 60 to 115 against an 90s corvett, he let off first, hung with a supercharged mustang, beat a 66 mustang on 150 shot. My nissan is not near my mustang, but it well handle better and suprise more people. Not many people want to challenge a car that is loud and they can fell the bass from the motor in there chest while standing next to it. I say TT the car quiet BOVs and have a sleeper. And then beat any V8 car that is driven on the street daily cause thats whats in your class, not some stripped car thats driven strait to the strip.

·
Registered
262 Posts
HYUCK

NOTE IT IS VERY NECESSARY FOR THE THREAD TITLE TO BE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS FOR AN ISSUE WHICH DOES NOT NEED TO BE RESOLVED WITHIN THE NEXT 2-3HOURS!!!!!

CAMRO! CAMERRO! kkkAMARO?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Twin turbo is the way to go.

If I had to put an American v8 in a z32, which I wouldn't, it would be a Ford Mod4.6. They are DOHC and have a light weight yet reliable aluminum block (about 80lbs, I can pick it up with out much strain). The stock Cobra 4.6NA produces like 280hp and I think 340hp for the stock Supercharged.

A carburated pushrod engine is a step backwards. If you actually want to be able to drive a car fuel injection and forced induction is always better. My pops has a T-bird with a bored, stroked and cammed 351(393) pushin about 400hp, it is a super loud and b!tch to drive but a 400hp TTz would still be as smooth as butter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.