ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am constantly getting messages from the server (or the browser)
that is why sometimes my messages go in pairs
and I get a lot os Duplicate submission messages cause when I submit it for the first time i get the error msg too
I am using IE4.0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Nope it's not just you

> I am constantly getting messages from the
> server (or the browser)
> that is why sometimes my messages go in
> pairs
> and I get a lot os Duplicate submission
> messages cause when I submit it for the
> first time i get the error msg too
> I am using IE4.0

While I love this site dearly for it's content, when it comes to posting messages, it's kinda slow. Dunno what it's running on, but since derek's probably funding this himself, I can't expect him to be running it on a Sun E10000 or anything. I'm using Netscape 4.5 on my 95 machine and IE5 on my Win2000 machine (which is usually unbelieveably fast compared to netscape by the way even as much as it pains me to endorse microsoft) plus I'm on a cable modem instead of a dialup connection. And unfortunately, it's still slow I'm afraid. Not that it dissuades me from using the site by any means. but I guess to answer your question, no, it's not just you carlos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: Am I the only one having problems with the sit

I've gotten the duplicate submission messages a couple of times but not a lot. I find the system is really slow sometimes when I try to open a message. This is especially true on weekdays around 6-8 PM CST and many times I give up and don't wait for it to open.

I've found quicker access on weekends especially early AM. Or maybe it's just my imagination but it sure seems better then.

It always seems to take a long time to post a message.

Bob A.

> I am constantly getting messages from the
> server (or the browser)
> that is why sometimes my messages go in
> pairs
> and I get a lot os Duplicate submission
> messages cause when I submit it for the
> first time i get the error msg too
> I am using IE4.0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
This is a good example

When I went to post this message, I waited several minutes then got an error message that said document contains not data. So.. I tried again with the same result.

I then hit the back button and got clear out to my startup page, went out and surfed the net a little, came back and lo and behold my message was there. I never got the Message Submitted - Thanks for Contributing message.

In spite of these minor nuisances, this site is GREAT and Derek has done a marvelous job with it!

Bob A.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Suggestions for site improvement

> Dunno what it's running on,
> but since derek's probably funding this
> himself, I can't expect him to be running it
> on a Sun E10000 or anything.

It seems Derek isn't around here much anymore, or at least doesn't answer questions and suggestions about his site very often. If I were him, and money was keeping me from improving the site, I would solicit donations in exchange for promises to improve the site. I'd sure be willing to pay a few bucks to have someone pay regular attention to the few problems here. Anyone else agree?
 
G

·
Re: Am I the only one having problems with the sit

> I am constantly getting messages from the
> server (or the browser)
> that is why sometimes my messages go in
> pairs
> and I get a lot os Duplicate submission
> messages cause when I submit it for the
> first time i get the error msg too
> I am using IE4.0

It's not just you. The site is under some heavy load during the weekdays.

It's hosted on my own Pentium 233, running Linux, which should be sufficient...

Every weekday ZCAR.COM now receives over 1000 visitors. That might not seem like a very busy site, but given the fact that the average visitors stays for 11.5 minutes means that each visitors puts a sufficient load on the system.

The main problem is this message board program. It doesn't scale very well.

The ideal solutiion would be for me to write my own discussion forum from scratch, but unfortunately, I don't have time for that right now.

I'll let you guys know what solution I come up with.

--
Derek Spencer
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Re: Am I the only one having problems with the sit

> It's not just you. The site is under some
> heavy load during the weekdays.

> It's hosted on my own Pentium 233, running
> Linux, which should be sufficient...

> Every weekday ZCAR.COM now receives over
> 1000 visitors. That might not seem like a
> very busy site, but given the fact that the
> average visitors stays for 11.5 minutes
> means that each visitors puts a sufficient
> load on the system.

> The main problem is this message board
> program. It doesn't scale very well.

> The ideal solutiion would be for me to write
> my own discussion forum from scratch, but
> unfortunately, I don't have time for that
> right now.

> I'll let you guys know what solution I come
> up with.

> --
> Derek Spencer
> [email protected]

Well nice to see that you're not trying to run it on an NT box (snicker)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Slow but INVALUABLE

Hey guys. It may be slow but have you had any responses that saved you a bunch of bucks and mental stress? This site is worth my wait to get good answers to good questions. I am sure that if Derek could do better, he would. This is a time consuming and expensive site to maintain for anyone.. Cut a bit of slack here please and go with the flow.. Thanks-- Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: Suggestions for site improvement

> It seems Derek isn't around here much
> anymore, or at least doesn't answer
> questions and suggestions about his site
> very often. If I were him, and money was
> keeping me from improving the site, I would
> solicit donations in exchange for promises
> to improve the site. I'd sure be willing to
> pay a few bucks to have someone pay regular
> attention to the few problems here. Anyone
> else agree?

He should try for more advertising from Zcar parts providers and such for money, if he gets the hits I think he's getting it shouldn't be too much trouble to get them. I am having one heck of a time with this site lately, I give up on posts around 50% of the time as it just won't take. I wish he would spend some time and I would really hope he would change the parts for sale area, it's getting filled up with really old ads, it needs to be changed so it shows dates posted and all posts sould be deleated after a couple of weeks and the people can reenter ads if they don't sell them all. I hate to answer them anymore just to keep from getting all the same it's been sold replys, it must drive the people who posted them nuts after awhile also and it keeps me from posting there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Re: Am I the only one having problems with the sit

> It's not just you. The site is under some
> heavy load during the weekdays.

> It's hosted on my own Pentium 233, running
> Linux, which should be sufficient...

> Every weekday ZCAR.COM now receives over
> 1000 visitors. That might not seem like a
> very busy site, but given the fact that the
> average visitors stays for 11.5 minutes
> means that each visitors puts a sufficient
> load on the system.

> The main problem is this message board
> program. It doesn't scale very well.

> The ideal solutiion would be for me to write
> my own discussion forum from scratch, but
> unfortunately, I don't have time for that
> right now.

> I'll let you guys know what solution I come
> up with.

> --
> Derek Spencer
> [email protected]

Regardless, I still think that you're doing a GREAT job!!! I feel that a lot of people would be sunk without this site. Everyone needs to be patient and grateful.
Thanks D. Keep up the good work.

[email protected] '83zxna
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top