ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ran across a chevy aluminum 350 small block. cost is $3995.00 for bare block with 20degree splayed 4 bolt main caps. Weight of block is quoted at 92 lbs...

My ? is, how does this compare to the bare l6 block?

seems to me, that with aluminum heads, pistons, conrods, oil pan, water pump, intake, etc.. you could slap yourself together a pretty potent engine that weighed in the neighborhood of 300 lbs total...?

Not that I necessarily want a v8, but man thats really light weight. Same place has the new chevy ls1 aluminum engines fully assembled in the crate, ready to roll for like $5899.00.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
> Just ran across a chevy aluminum 350 small
> block. cost is $3995.00 for bare block with
> 20degree splayed 4 bolt main caps. Weight of
> block is quoted at 92 lbs...

> My ? is, how does this compare to the bare
> l6 block?

> seems to me, that with aluminum heads,
> pistons, conrods, oil pan, water pump,
> intake, etc.. you could slap yourself
> together a pretty potent engine that weighed
> in the neighborhood of 300 lbs total...?

> Not that I necessarily want a v8, but man
> thats really light weight. Same place has
> the new chevy ls1 aluminum engines fully
> assembled in the crate, ready to roll for
> like $5899.00.
The all aluminum LS-1 engine is actually lighter than the L28. It also develops 350 ft.lbs. of torque and 300-345 HP. The price quoted you for the engine probably does not include the induction system, though,which will add another $2,000 tot he bill.
Phantom

·
Registered
183 Posts
> The all aluminum LS-1 engine is actually
> lighter than the L28. It also develops 350
> ft.lbs. of torque and 300-345 HP. The price
> quoted you for the engine probably does not
> include the induction system, though,which
> will add another $2,000 tot he bill.
> Phantom

**Speaking of V8s, do you know if any of the other
small block Chevys will drop in with no problems when using the JTR spec engine mounts? Someone
told me that his LT1 engine dropped in just fine.

Phantom, I assume you are using a small block?

Thanks in advance.

....6 more months of this Singapore life left to go....this place sucks....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
www.johnscars.com

Owen,
Try this website for John's Cars in Dallas. They make kits for Jag's & Z's just like Jags That Run in California. I've personally seen John's conversions and they are beautiful. They look like they were factory installed. His kit will adapt to any small block Chevy V-8 which includes the #05, 327, 350 and 400. They can also be set up to run 4, 5 or 6 speed manuals and the T-300, 400, 700 or the new electronic 4-spd automatics.
The kit is very reasonable but the rest of the components can really add up. If they do the installation the cost is around $10K complete.
That is why I don't have a V-8 in mine yet. The L28 is still running fine so will hold off until it gets sick and I'm looking at spendig $4K for a new something anyway.
Know what you mean about Singapore. I've been to Thailand, Korea & Japan and there is no place like home.
Phantom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.