ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, did you realize if you put an internally-regulated alternator onto an earlier car without doing anything else, it will work and charge the battery?

I didn't do it, but found out why the red light was "on" on my 76 Fairlady. Seems the prior owner replaced the engine assembly with a later 280ZX setup, complete with its' internally-regulated alternator.

I'd been driving this thing for about 9 months now and couldn't figure out why the voltmeter showed 14-15 volts, but the red charging light was always on. I'd verified the voltage, and the thing was working, so I just put it off for a "rainy day project".

Getting ready to put in another engine, I find a rebuilt alt in my shed from a 76 Fairlady in storage since 88... Take it out and realize that the alt I currently have in the car is WRONG! After pulling it out, I realize it has internal regulation!

So I put the right alternator on, fire it up, and Viola! Red Charge light goes out.
Whooda thunkit?

So, just beware, things that you swear wouldn't work, sometimes cause you consternation when they do. Especially if it's not how you though it would in the first place!

·
Super Moderator
41,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slowly mired in the rain...

Engine project on hold until 'clement' weather (As opposed to 'inclement').
81 out and being dressed. Have non-smog 75 manifold (intake and exhaust) that will be going on for prep on a "Federal" emissions check. Then again the way this is going, it'll be January when it's done, and by then I can get one of those 'special' plates and don't have to worry about it.
Statement of fact and some documentation.
See "Malcom in the Middle" last night? Francis is getting himself declared an Emancipated Minor. His documentation production for fulfilling a certain state's requirements sent me rollllllling in the asiles. It reminded me of someone else in that same state on a 72 hour job...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.