ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It is the alternator that you need for the Maxima Alternator swap but you must realize the other items that you may need to make this alternator work in your z31.

Check out the link below for more information BEFORE you purchase this alternator.

http://www.az-zbum.com/modification.maxima.alternator.shtml

In my 85 N/A I decided to keep the Maxima Alternator's pulley instead of trying to remove a spinning pulley (not fun). Also, when it dies I can swap another Maxima alternator in without modifications. This required that I purchase and install the crankshaft and water pump pulleys from an 87-89T.

Since you have an 88 you may not have to make serious modifications. Do the research before you jump in the water!

Post Edited (Oct 12, 8:54am)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that site is very helpful and thanks for the warning. is there anyone out there that has done this swap on an 88 and can tell me exactly what parts i need?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
basically, if the alternator on my car has more than one pulley i need to buy the missing ones...but if it has one pulley it should be equivellant to the maxima one which has only one pulley, is this right? the more i look the more confused i get!

or is it that the other pullies that need to be replced too...looking at the pictures on the zbum site, those pullies in the photos are the ones that need to be replaced but the one alternator can stay the same?

Post Edited (Oct 12, 10:40am)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
The easiest way to determine what you will need to make the 90 Maxima Alternator to work is:

Look at the accessory belts. The accessory belt that drives the Alternator and Waterpump will be either a vbelt or a serpentine belt. A serpentine belt has groves that will match that of the Maxima Alternators pulley.

If your z31 has a serpentine belt that drives the waterpump and Alternator then no modifications are necessary. If your z31 has a vbelt that drives the waterpump and alternator then you will have to either:

1. Swap pulleys on the alternator (machine shop can do) or
2. Swap crankshaft and alternator pulleys with 87-89T's.

Option 2 is a bit of a bear if you are not used to taking of the crankshaft pulley but I did it and I had never done it before then.

Hopefully this helps clear things up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah that helps a lot and now i see what to look for. im not usualyl so dense about it but if im going to purchase a new alternator from anywhere i want to make sure i can complete the job without making any returns. thanks for your help! ill print your advice out and keep it with me when i take a look at my car next.

you think if the other pullies are needed they can be found at napa or autozone or would i have to locate a nissan dealership or a junked 300zx?

Post Edited (Oct 12, 11:00am)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Glad to hear that I could help!

One last piece of advice - you should consider buying a new alternator over a used one when possible. A new alternator might be a bit more money, but you know that you can trust it and you can have the local autoparts store test it right in front of you before you leave.

It's one of those things - you know it is done right and you won't have to be back under the car again in a week.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good point, especially buying one from ebay where it might not be able to refund or exchange.
could you recommend any stores besides autozone and napa that might have reasonable ones?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an 88 NA and did this swap over the winter last year. The maxima alt bolts right up to the 88 NA. The only thing I had to do to make it work was grind a little off the bracket(may not be necesary for all) and buy a slightly smaller belt. Other than that it fits perfectly with no mods.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I used the 1990 Maxima Alternator. Any local parts store will do but NAPA is always nice. They are generally more knowledgable. Make sure they test it before you leave however, it's just easier to do it then as opposed to after it is already installed when you will have to uninstall it to test.

It sounds like your 88 N/A will be the same, good news for you!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
could anyone recommend any stores besides autozone and napa that might have reasonable maxima alternators?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.