ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok if you've seen my other posts, I v'e been having big trouble with electrical. grounds hanging mystery wires and stuff. If insterested please look em over and please respond. But my question for now is I hear about these gurus who can remove the alternator from the top of the car without dropping the sway bar and all. CAN IT BE DONE ON MY 85 TURBO?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I rebuilt the entire top half of my motor without ever going under the car . so I don't see why you should need to remove the sway bar . Ofcource mine is a non turbo though Get a haynes manual it helped my drastically .
other than that Z-Bum should be able to answer that for you and even send you a diagram on how to do it his web site has everything you ever wanted to know about z's.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It can be removed from the top but it's really not that hard to remove from the bottom either - I would just do it that way.

3 bolts, one you will need to have a wrench to get to because the area is confined. Follow the manual and if you have questions - post.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I guess it depends on how much space you want right? such as, I changed my oil pressure sending unit without removing the starter, which was a big mistake.
anyway, my mechnic moved the sway bar down out of the way when he changed my alternator. no big deal. I watched him do it. took just a couple of minutes

·
Registered
282 Posts
undo the bolts .it drops down then move it forward over the sway bar.
i removed mine with out touching the sway bar.the i put a 280zx alt in and it fit fine and it's bigger then the z31!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
does bigger = more power?

·
Registered
958 Posts
lol. I assume it has nothing to do with your problem. But just because you made the post doesnt mean it's all about you ;-P. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I didn't remove the sway bar when I took the old alternator out or put the bigger Maxima alternator in. ITS EASY. You can do it! Even if you had to take the emergency scissor jack to boost it for a couple of minutes - take it out from the bottom and save yourself the hassle.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
just buy some jack stands, they're like <$20 and will save your life. Trust me, I had a little emergency fixing while on the road and had my car fall on me while I was under the rear diff, not fun.

Post Edited (Jul 25, 4:00pm)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I agree - and if you can afford a little bit more buy a set of ramps as well. They are really easy and convenient to work with. Domdogg - that happened to me once as well and if I hadn't been quick on my feet and had the drivers door already open my car would have rolled down the incline/hill about 20 feet ahead!!!

Scary!!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Yeah...my car probably would've been rolling too, except the fact that I was trapped underneath it.

Make sure to get lowprofile ramps if you get them, regulars won't fit under the front of my Z.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.