ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 N/A I used the info from the previous posts regarding the Maxima ALT swap. My issue is this, The pulley from mine has a smaller inside diameter. I tried all the years listed. (89-92) Anyone got any ideas? I recently added an electric fan And High power audio. Thanks..

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
If you haven't already been here, go here now:

http://www.az-zbum.com/modification.maxima.alternator.shtml

You have the same model/type car as myself. I'm not sure how much research you have done and if you are aware of this please disregard. You do need to get a crankshaft pulley and a waterpump pulley off of a later model turbo (87-89). You can get it also from other models/makes but I won't go into details. You will also need a new belt, a 36.5 inch serpentine belt, to repalce the current Alternator V-Belt.

If you have any other questions - feel free to shoot me an email at the address in my profile. I just did the swap this January.

Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Based on the info from the site, you can swap the alternator pullies but your saying the alternator shaft is different? I hope not because my alternator will be here this weekend and NAPA was going to swap the pullies for free. I also have an 85 NA and my system is ready for install.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
jimmy,

No, you will be just fine.

If you have the pulleys (crankshaft and waterpump) they simply need to be swapped on. At that point they will line up perfectly with the Maxima Alternator.

Outside of that you need the one new belt that connects the crankshaft, waterpump, and alternator. That belt can be picked up at any parts store and I mentioned the size above.

From what you've mentioned you should be set and have no problems moving forward with the swap!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats exactly what happened. I took my original Alt into the store with me, They offered to swap the pulley's for free as well. Thats when it was discovered that the shaft size on the new Alt's were larger in diameter. We tried from 1989-1992 Bosch's for the Maxima. Anybody have any pulley's?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
sprintguy & jimmy,

I think I was confused before.

Are you having these individuals at the Autoparts stores swap your old alternator pulley onto the new Maxima alternator?

If so then - yes - there is a difference and you will have to have a shop custom do that for you. The autoparts store guys may learn this the hard way after the part comes in.

People have gone the custom job route before but I personally believe it's a less intuitive route to go because every time your alternator goes out you are going to have to repeat that process and the labor cost.

AZ-ZBUM's writeup, in my own opinion, is the best path to follow. When my Maxima alternator goes out in the future, I simply buy another one and slam it into place. No problems.

If I can be of any additional help please let me know!

Post Edited (Mar 16, 11:45am)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
wow look what it says here:
Q: What exactly is the advantage of swaping Alt. from a Max to a Z?
A: On a stock car, there isn't any. The Maxima alternator is 90 amps to the Z's 70 amps. But if you install a lot of electrical parts (electric fan, big stereo, electric water pump, extra lights, etc.) you'll need a bigger alternator so you don't drain your battery. It has no actual performance advantage, and actually may even rob a small amount of power from your car.

I can only think of one major mod Id do to my car electrical wise and thatd be a bigger stereo system, but I think the stock alternator can handle that, right? I wouldnt want to do anything that would ROB my car of power :)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
sportdriverGt,

Originally I agreed but my alternator died on me shortly after I swapped in a new deck, new AMP, and two 10 inch subwoofers so I figured it was time for a step up.

That and it is such an easy mod it is easily worth the time.

As far as performance logically it takes more energy to turn the extra 20 amps but I haven't noticed the difference in even the slightest way. If the extra help saves me from killing another alternator it's worth the while to me.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
whered you get the maxina alternator?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something then. Do I need to find the same year Maxima at Pick and Pull or something? When I read:

Q: Do you have to change the pullies?
A: Not if they are the same style. You cannot (well, you can, but you really shouldn't) use a V belt on a serpentine style pulley. And you shouldn't use a serpentine style belt on a V style pulley. You don't have to swap the two pulleys I swapped. You can swap the pulley on the alternator. I just didn't want to have to swap the alternator pulley every time I had to swap alternators. I also don't find it fun trying to loosen a nut on a shaft that is designed to spin.

I took it to mean you could simply take the pully off the Z alternator and put it on the Max. Guess I won't be doing it this weekend :)

As far as what the stock alternator can handle, 70 amps isn't bad, but you figure it was designed around a factory stereo. If you put in a 500 watt or larger amp, you might want to consider swaping the alternator. I got mine used on ebay for $28 shipped, so it wasn't a major investment for a little added security. If it lasts a year or two, I'll be happy with that.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yup, AZ-ZBUM was trying to be well-rounded and make sure that he took into consideration that anyone with a z31 regardless of whether it was 84-86 or 87-89 or na/turbo could do the swap.

The lucky folks with an 87-89 z31's don't have to swap *anything* to get the Maxima alterantor to work. I believe they would need a new serpentine belt because the alternator pulley is larger but they may not even need that.

Those of us with early n/a's like you, me, and sprintguy have to go the route I have been trying to explain.

You can either:

1. Have a shop custom mount the old z31 pulley on the new maxima alternator so it will fit or

2. Swap the crankshaft and waterpump pulleys with their serpentine counterparts from 87-89 turbo z31's and get the 36.5 inch serpentine belt.

Hopefully that helps!

Post Edited (Mar 16, 12:29pm)

·
Registered
25 Posts
i just basically skimmed through this and i just thought i'd put in my 2 cents since i did all this investigating and he's what i've come to. 1st off my alt change over wasn't as hard as all the stuff that i read about it. in fact i just went and bought a maxima alt and it had a serpatine pully on it. and all my belts were already serpatine so i just bolted in and the only real problem i has was the belt was to big so i just went to napa and they let me match up some belts to get a little smaller one.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
YES! As mentioned on both this post and AZ-ZBUM's FAQ that I keep mentioning the 87-89 model z31's had the third row of belts as serpentine. That means that the water pump, alternator, and crankshaft had the serpentine groves necessary already in place.

When I did the swap on my 85 I simply took those same parts out of a wrecked 87-89 and swapped them in place of my current parts in the 85. It is easy as pie for those 87-89 who already have the proper configuration.
At that point you simply need a slightly longer belt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.