ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 N/A. Recently, I notice that my alternator light does not lit up when I place the key in the ignition and turn it to ignition before crank position. Furthermore, My alternator does not put out any voltage as measure across the battery terminal. My current reading while engine is running is 12 volts or less. There is a harness that running from the back of the alternator to a connector that is position just front of the battery. I have disconnected the harness and start the engine. Engine runs fine but still no warning light on my dash board. So I would like to confirm the following:

1/ Should my alternator light or charge system light lit when I disconnect the harness? (I should check the light bulb itself I guess)
2/ Where does this harness go (fuse box somewhere?) from the back of alternator to where? Is there a fuse for this?
3/ Before I pull my alternator out of the car, I want to be certain. Is there something else that I can check?
4/ What is the black box in front of the battery that has few jumpers in it for? The cover is badly faded. I can read the writting on the cover itself.

My alternator used to work just before I store the car this winter. I have driven teh car since last winter.

Help!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you tell me the fusible links for which component starting from the battery to front of car? Does 1987 model or any model has fuse/relay for charging system? If so where does it locate?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The alternator warning light should be on when the ignition is turned on. For that matter, almost every warning light should be lit as a bulb check before starting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this is a fusible link from the back of the alternator. It also control the light on the dash board too! Is this a common problem. DOes anyone know where the fusible link whithin the harness assembly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.