ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started to replace my alternator in my 84 turbo. After getting it out I noticed that the entire alternator was covered in black or dark grease/oil. I used some engine foam degreaser cleaner to clean the PS pump area as well as everthing near it to find the leak. Has this happened to anyone? Iam not sure if its a cam seal or power sterring leak. I have not checked my fluids yets because the car is up in the air on jack stands.I will check them later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah dude, I had the same problem with my '87 NA. Except I didn't find out that it was covered in crap until it my battery completely died, twice. I had to just buy a whole new replacement Nissan alternator. When I pulled it, it was totally covered in grease and oil. My power steering hose leaks, but the fluid on the alternator looked darker, so I'm guessing it was a combination of the power steering fluid and oil.

·
Registered
559 Posts
ya its oil....oh well lol...jking...isnt there a seal on the mounting surface of the valve cover...if thats a bad seal then oil wud leak out...cam seal...didnt even know that was a part.....guess you learn things everyday

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Have you done a timing belt change? If so...you should know what a cam seal is...because you should've changed them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
yup, cam seal... happened to me too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.