ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new owner of a nearly rust free 1978 280z (Arizona!!!). Anyway, the Alternator is new, but not charging the battery per multimeter check. A search of the subject reveals an owner solved a similar/exact problem with "...bad Brake Warning Lamp Relay, located under the passenger seat." I see nothing under the passenger seat... Is it under the carpet? Seems like an odd place... Any help is appreciated. Also, one of the fusable links is burnt - any clue to which system would affected?
BTW, the body, paint are a 10/10, engine has 60,000 so probably a 8/10, but one of the POs did a poor job of a dash reinstall - many sins known and unknown back there...
Pictures coming as soon as I satisfy wife and kids needs.
16001227783015140207778512813853.jpg

·
Registered
993 Posts
assuming its stock check the fuse links. better still buy some new correct ones, those look pretty crappy.
looks like you are missing the plug on the oil pressure sensor as well. May have something to do with charging circuit, Idon't know later model 280's IIRC the oil pressure sensor lets the car know the engine is running on those models.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Dave, unfortunately those aren't fusible links in the pic. Someone has replaced them with regular wires which is very dangerous. Jeffinnorthcarolina I would recommend not starting that car until the so called fusible links are replaced, and the spade terminals are filed or sanded clean. The one for the alternator is the front receptacle and it's the link closest to the fender. That's supposed to be a black link and the other 3 are supposed to be a brownish red. I can't tell if the front one is the burnt one or not the pic is a little blurry. The one in the rear receptacle may be a fusible link but there again I can't tell because it's blurry. I do stock the correct fusible links as well as the covers. The brake light warning relay is under the passenger seat. If the carpet has been replaced then the relay may be covered with carpet. So far as I know the relays aren't available new yet. I haven't taken the time to design a new one either. One of the many things located on my to do list. That one is somewhere in the top 200 items. As far as your alternator goes it's very common to get defective alternators for these cars from most auto parts stores. I sell stock replacements that are good every time as well as high output alternators that double your charge rate at idle and at peak output. I also give discounts from 5% to 30% to zcar.com users. Z man of Washington 360-668-2979

1 - 3 of 3 Posts