ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today when i got into my car and started it the radio and the radar detector didnt come on. i looked at my voltemeter and it read approx. 17 volts when ever the engine was reved over 1.25k. it did this the entire time i drove it home which was about 2 miles and about 5 min. the next time i started the car it was fine and the voltemeter read normal. the radio and everything worked as normal. could it be a bad ground on the altenator or something like that? if the alt. is the problem what all would i need to do the alt. coneversion to the maxima alt.?

thanks
grant

·
Registered
657 Posts
sounds like you need a new alt. bad ground would make it under charge.

oops i ment wouldnt!!

Post Edited (Apr 7, 10:42am)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Grant,

Is your 86' a turbo or non-turbo?

If it's a turbo you should have a crankshaft pulley who's "third rung" (for lack of a better term) is serpentine. If that is the case it is absolutely bolt on. Just buy and install from a 90' Maxima.

If it is a non-turbo it gets more complicated. You would have to (do what I did and) get a waterpump pulley and a crankshaft pulley from a turbo and swap them with yours. A serpentine belt to fit as well. If you have a non-turbo and you are interested visit az-zbum's FAQ at http://www.az-zbum.com or email me at the email address in my profile.

Post Edited (Apr 6, 10:50am)

·
Registered
880 Posts
i had that problem.. popped both bright lights.. it sucked~ i thought my computer would get cooked.. when the voltage regulator in the alt goes it either over charges or under charges.. i would rather be stranded from undercharge than overcharge.. its not fun cooking wires..

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
either tomarrow or this weekend pending on weather i am gunna take my alt to autozone and have it tested. ealier today when i drove my car home from work it did not over charge according to the voltemeter. i also talked to my boss at the auto shop where i worked but his answer seemed to be a little hair brained. it involved the belt being to loose so i stopped listening. my auto tech teacher suggested taht the voltage reg was a good possiblity, but i will find out for sure in the not so distant future.

stu to answer your question its an 86 na. i was thinking about getting a loaner pulley puller from auto zone and taking off the alt pulley rather than doing the other two. let me know what you think.

thanks
zelotic

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you could power one... if you could afford it LOL...

zelotic <= still in high school

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.