ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the few of you who suggested that my turbo's may be causing the oil leak, you were right....

So wow, that means... another engine pull... great.

I don't have the money to pay someone to do the pull on top of the cost of turbos, so I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it one more time (God I can't believe I'm actually having to type this).

Anyways, I know the obvious answer would be to buy upgraded turbos... but the budget is very limited, and I'm really hesitant about buying used turbos now (or ANYTHING used for that matter). So, I need you guys to help with this decision. If I got larger turbos, I wouldn't have injectors/intercoolers for a long time.

Edit - If I'm getting different turbos, I've gotta get these 5 sets of HID's outta here! You know the details, e-mail me if you're interested.

Post Edited (Jan 10, 5:37pm)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
well, sport500 turbos are the same price as stock but you get a little more kick. They work well with stock intercoolers, injectors, just don't push it over 13-14psi.

Anything else is above $2,000 and would require upgraded components. You can buy rebuilt turbos and see how it goes, but you'll be looking at another engine pull in the near future.

Get sport500 from Coz and you'll be happy, I have them and love them.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Are you sure it's the turbos or just the oil line going to the turbos. My guess is the oil feed line is loose or missing one of the washers.

If it is the turbo then you can get a set of sport 500's but I'd rather get a set of GT525 Turbos from Z1 and you'll be good to go for around $1,895.00 with all new lines and gaskets. You can also look into a set of stock rebuild turbos(with completely new center sections) from Z1. That would save you around $600 off the price of the kit above.

Post Edited (Jan 10, 4:01pm)

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Last year I pulled the transmission on a lexus sc400 with very limited tools and the car only had 1.5ft of ground clearence to do this. He said he wiped the leaking oil clean near the rear main seal, so all looked good and much later than sooner we had the transmission tied around a floor jack with cement blocks holding it up on the sides. His rear main seal wasn't leaking. It looked just fine. Then I realize it was just an oil leak from the back of the head of the motor. And it was caused by improper torquing so that fixed it. I was not a very happy camper and almost made him put the tranny back on by himself.

Rule #13-Always get a proper diagnosis!

JT's advice is sound as usual.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ones on the old motor looked starved for oil, I don't want to try using them in particular (plus one of them had a very minor leak)

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Just about all JDM engine suppliers DON'T warranty the turbos or any other accessories. They only warranty the long block itself.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
How could warranty a used turbo? Thats like saying theyd warranty a Tbelt out of a JDM motor itd just be stupid. SJ if money is the name of the game right now id find someone to rebuild the turbos off of your other motor. A rebuilt turbo if done correctly is just as good as new. Think about why they require a core charge for Sport 500s? Its not like they do it just to have a bunch of stock turbos laying around.

EDIT: Heres a number for you (901) 366-1646 the companys name is Turbochargers .INC ask for Karl. tell him Jeff over at Tennessee Speed Sport told you to call about getting some turbos rebuilt and possibly speced out. Ive got a spare set of turbos in town I could drop off at his shop and then ship to you as long as I get yours back as a core charge.

Post Edited (Jan 10, 7:38pm)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I like JT's idea, just go with the GT525. They come everything you need and still have the same performance as the Sport 500s. Then you can still upgrade injectors and such later.

Be patient Grasshopper! The boost will come.

Right now make sound decisions. This is an important one, especially if you are even considering more upgrades in the future.

Good luck,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.