ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam in the middle of the LSD swap, needs two more hours to finish the job and will be done, I got mine off of an 87 turbo, it's a 3: 70 and did I say it was NEW, my half shafts plugged in and works fine, I have an 86 turbo,

ofcourse I doubled checked first to make sure I don't need the half shafts, I called Nissan and the part number for the 87T shafts and 86T are the same, all I did was buy new side seals and pinion seal from Nissan, that is ALL you need for the swapI took more picture and I will upload them sometime Monday night when the entire Job is done, it was so cool watch both tires spin at the same direction :)

I have to tell you, for all the guys that are planning this swap, it's a lof of work, I'm lucky to have a buddy that owns a shop and lets me use his lift and tools, ofcourse I make him help :) but if you don't have the car on a lift I can see how pain that would be to do the swap.
I'm also doing the solid diffy mount from the spec shop and the solid bushings.

so thats what I've been doing this weekend
can't wait for Monday :)

have a great weekend everyone....

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Well I haven't done it on my 300zx yet, no need to, but I did do it on my 280z a couple months ago. Let me tell you the car handles much better and there is nothing like getting both tires to spin on a launch. Good luck on finishing yours.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well I guess me and you were working on the same thing today, I just got done changing out my broken halfshaft and drove it around it feels pretty good no clicking or nothing. Now I have to find me an 87-89 lsd diff like you did. Have fun with the posi

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
man it was abitch getting the half shafts out, but I'm sure once everything is all done I will say it was worth it...

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
wow and I thought I had a hard day workin on the fender supports and fuel sending unit haha

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll be doing the LSD swap after the car come back from the paint shop, I don't want the inevitable overspray on the new suspension. How long did the whole job take you?
I'll be doing the clutch and a transmition swap at the same time because I currently have my 85N/A's in there.
Any other words of advice will be greatly appreciated... ;-)

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, it all depends on how easy some of the bolts come out, chances are...actually a GREAT chance your diffy never been removed, and everything else under there in the rear end never been removed before, so it all depends on how easy those **** bolts come out, we had hard time with few and thats WITH air tools.

I also had my car under coated so most of the bolts you couldn't even see under a pile of that black tar sh*t, all that sh*t had to be removed to be able to see the **** bolt, thats why we never got it done in one day, it was the original plan and we could've finished in one day f the **** Tar crap wasn't there!!! if you have no air tools and a lift I don't know how it can be done!!! I can honestly say I would never do it myself knowing what I know now, but most guys don't have a lift or air tools and they can still do it so you'll have to talk to those guys about how easy it was to swap the LSD, they swaped and more power to them but I don't think I can be under the car on my back trying to put so much torque on some of these bolts!!!
actually I'd like to hear from some of the guys that swaped without a lift or air tools.
I'll load some pix tomorrow night.

out

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I'v installed three diffs in my Z by myselfe.

1. back the car up on ramps.
2. pop the halfe shafts out with a crow bar and a hammer.
3. unbolt the 4 bolts holding the diff to the X-member.
4. unbolt the 2 bolts holding the mount to the car.
5. slide the diff out onto a jack.

what you do is level the jack with the diff. Then when you pull the diff out it will slide right on top of the jack. Then you you just lower the jack. You just go back wards for the reinstall. I can do an entire diff install in a halfe an hour.

The way you get enough torque on the bolts is with a braker bar.

I have an LSD sitting in my garage right now but I don't want to install it intill Im done with some other stuff. I pulled the LSD in the junk yard by myselfe also. LOL gravell sticking in your back sucks! Let me know how you like the LSD!

here is the rear cross member bushings install. See how I have the jack under the diff. You do the same thing when you are un-installing/re-installing the diff.
<http://www.nomercz.com/crossmember>

Post Edited (Apr 17, 1:25pm)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hey eastbay how do you like the solid crossmember mounts and diff mount. I was going to get me some here pretty soon does your car squeak or anything?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
his car makes so many noises Im sure he wouldnt be able to tell if it was coming from the mounts. lol

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
LOL sportdriverzx is right. It's a very loud car.

Exhaust
Turbo
Blow Off Valve
solid engine mounts
solid rear cross member bushings and diff mount....

it all makes noise.

He went for a ride in my Z before the solid engine mount and Blow Off valve...it makes some new noises now.

squeak? nope it won't sqeuak it will make it so you can hear more drive train noises. Drive shaft, diff, and transmission noises become louder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.