ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RIAA came calling last night and my denied me internet access until i unshared all of my music folders, had to do that and now i have it back. I suspect it was honey pot that the bastards used to catch me. Last year they sued a girl here for 10grand a song, and thats not a typo. Just watch out cause those bastards are hunting for us downloading criminals.
To keep it 300zx related, my friend finaly figured out the timing issue with my old z that he bought from me, and now its in nice garage storage for the winter so spring cannot come too soon.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was morpheus, um a honeypot is basically the music companies have their own servers on which you by accident download a song. but then they have your ip number and assume you are gonna share and come after you. you usually can tell its a honey pot song if its only good for a minute but is not a full version. oh but i now have limewire pro, you can get the full version for free once you download the regular version search for the pro in their own search and download and you get limewire pro for free. and now i dont share songs anymore

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the college did not share my info, they just stopped my internet access until i got them to "fix" it. they were technically supposed to delete the songs but i hid themand they didnt seem to care too much anyway. However they did share that girls info that they came after.

·
Registered
152 Posts
if you were to fight it, you would win more than likely. they would have to prove that they lost actual revenue through your actions. if you look close @ all the cases of the RIAA coming after people, then you would realise that none of the individuals actually fought it.

anyways, it was probably your college that cut it off, they monitor port activity and saw you were sedning out alot of data, cut yer service and only restored it once you called them up. the RIAA would have sent you a letter.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
correct, here is the email they sent me about it
Ilya,

Your system's Internet Access has been blocked due to a notice of copyright infringement being filed against your account in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). http://it.bridgew.edu/Policy/DMCA.cfm ,This link describes Bridgewater State College's Policy on Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Please call the ResNet Helpdesk (x7999) to set-up an appointment for your desktop or bring your laptop to Boyden Room 009 to have a technicians verify that your system is no longer sharing copyright material.

If you have any questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to call us on x7999. Your prompt cooperation is much appreciated.

See below the listed copyrighted materials:

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 2:43 PM
To: Delutis, Dave; Flood, Kenneth P.; King, Michael; O'Neill, Mary; Hathaway, Adam B.
Subject: FW: Case ID 122627547 - RIAA Infringement Notification

-------------------------------------------
From: RIAAInfringementNotification[SMTP:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 3:04:31 PM
To: Cronin, Patrick
Subject: Case ID 122627547 - RIAA Infringement Notification
Auto forwarded by a Rule

VIA EMAIL

January 18, 2006

Patrick Cronin
Bridgewater State College
Boyden Hall Telecommunications
131 Summer Street
Bridgewater, MA 02325 US

Re: Copyright infringement

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am contacting you on behalf of the Recording Industry Association of America, Inc. (RIAA) and its member record companies. The RIAA is a trade association whose member companies create, manufacture, and distribute approximately ninety (90) percent of all legitimate sound recordings sold in the United States. Under penalty of perjury, we submit that the RIAA is authorized to act on behalf of its member companies in matters involving the infringement of their sound recordings, including enforcing their copyrights and common law rights on the Internet.

We believe a user on your network is offering an infringing sound recording for download through a peer to peer application. We have attached below the details of the infringing activity.

We have a good faith belief that this activity is not authorized by copyright owners, their agent, or the law. We are asking for your immediate assistance in stopping this unauthorized activity. Specifically, we request that you remove or disable access to the infringing sound recording.

We believe it is in everyone's interest for music consumers to be better educated about the subject of copyright law and music. In addition to taking steps to notify this network user about the illegal nature of this activity, we encourage you to refer him/her to the MUSIC Coalition's website at www.musicunited.org. The site contains valuable information about what's legal and what's not when it comes to copying music.

You should understand that this letter constitutes notice to you that this network user may be liable for the infringing activity occurring on your network. In addition, under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, if you ignore this notice, your institution may also be liable for any resulting infringement. This letter does not constitute a waiver of any right to recover damages incurred by virtue of any such unauthorized activities, and such rights as well as claims for other relief are expressly retained. Moreover, this letter does not constitute a waiver of our members' right to sue the user at issue for copyright infringement.

Thank you in advance for your prompt assistance in this matter. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via e-mail at [email protected], via telephone at (202) 775-0101, or via mail at RIAA, 1330 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Suite 300, Washington, D.C., 20036. Please reference Case ID A122627547 in any response or communication regarding this infringement.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Landis
Online Copyright Protection
RIAA

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if it didnt cost so much, and they made albums that had more than one or two songs i'd buy them, but for now i think they'll be ok without that extra bentley

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
well it wasn't illegal to record songs off of the radio onto cassette tapes, so I guess it's similar in that nature. Most of the songs downloaded are the singles that make airplay, so the downloaders don't want the other 10 songs on the CD. CD's still cost too **** much for what they are. . .and don't gimme any crap about "taking away" from the recording artists. Everyone knows they make next to nothing off of cd sales anyway. It must be rough on them to get payed millions a year, then get shorted 10 grand. They'll have to wait another coupl of weeks to buy that Versace dress. . .

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is purely for personal use, i don't burn cd's that i cell at the most i'll make a party mix and drink some keystone and have a power hour. if i copied it and sold it i could see their point but i dont see what myself and virtually anyone under 25 with a computer does as a crime.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i buy cd's when i like the group and know the whole thing will be good, yes it's illegal but its for personal use and its the only time i listen to music beside on the radio. its not piracy, i dont know i just do not see this as a crime. and yes i could pay 10cents for a song but if you had an option to do it for free, and you were a college student on a budget which would you choose? i understand now that you are older and "wiser" you can tell all of us youngones as to how we are commiting horrible crimes, but i'm sure you were not a saint when you were young too.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
i figure i get paid either way as a software designer, so who cares?!! For the most part, software designers need expertese in creating programs, 99% of the artists today have no talent whatsoever. There are som mind you that do have talent, but most don't. They get paid way too much for what they do. I own a ton of Cd's, but I rarely buy a CD any more unless I really think the artist is standout.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.