ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just talked to the guy giving away the car, I thought it is a 280. I am setting something up to pick it up on Monday. It is free. I looked at it closer and it turns out it is a 74 260, complete perfect interior with dash cap. Even the carpet is not bad, but all the plastic and side panels are great. Seats suck. I looked under the hood, It has a header on it, followed by 2.5 exhaust. Complete car minus 2 tires. No RUST, no crunches or accidents, scratch and dent in front drivers fender, but other than that and no drivers headlight bucket, very good. So, I hope it becomes mine, the other guy doesn't have much longer to pick it up. It will cost a total of about $30 to have. Today is a good day.
Joshua L.

Maybe this will be my new project car instead of the 72. Not too sure yet though...

·
Registered
158 Posts
> I just talked to the guy giving away the
> car...
Why is he giving it away for free? you know that 240 I'm about to buy, well it's a '71 not '73. Do you think I should put the Su's on instead of my Hitachis'. I heard they're a lot stronger. The only thing is I don't know how long the car hasn't been running. I have the haynes book and I guess if I just follow step by step instructions I can switch them. I also want to install the 5spd.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is giving it away because the cops are making him get rid of it, and I guess he does not want to screw with trying to sell it. Drunks sleep in it, that is the problem. It has been in the shade though, so it is in good shape. It also has the good Carbs, round tops, on it. About SU's, they are british, the hitachis are basically identical versions copied by japan. Which ones do you have, the good ones or the bad ones? I assume the good ones are on it due to it being a 71, if so, keep those, they work very well. I would not start it up using the gas tank, ie, use a gallon or five gallon gas container to run from. Pull the tank out and have it cleaned, it is probably very rusty. Also, replace the hoses on the carbs, they are probably gummed up pretty bad. Check oil, water, start it up. The haynes is a good manual, but not the best. I hate the z edition, I only use the zx one to work on my cars. Fortunately, I almost never need the manual except for torque values. Just pay attention and you don't need the thing. I have not done the five speed conversion yet, but have a tranny to rebuild and do it with.
Arn't these cars fun!
Joshua L.

If you have any questions, you can also email me directly or use ICQ. ICQ# is 4961765.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.