ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get an alignment on my '83 280ZX after installing shocks all around.1 inner tie rod and 2 outers. The mechanic couldn't get it to align. He said that he could get it close but the steering wheel would not be straight,I would have to take it off and reposition it. He also said that maybe the inner tie rod was not the proper length,he did'nt seem like he really knew what was wrong.
Does anyone..Kip

·
Registered
98 Posts
> I went to get an alignment on my '83 280ZX
> after installing shocks all around.1 inner
> tie rod and 2 outers. The mechanic couldn't
> get it to align. He said that he could get
> it close but the steering wheel would not be
> straight,I would have to take it off and
> reposition it. He also said that maybe the
> inner tie rod was not the proper length,he
> did'nt seem like he really knew what was
> wrong.
> Does anyone..Kip
Did you check the tie rod ends you bought to see if they were the same as the ones you took out.If they were the same, chances are somebody has probably already had the steering wheel off and didn't get it back on in the same place.You might ask one of these other guys whether the steering wheel shaft is splined (which means numerous positions are possible) or if it just has (flat spots)which means there are only two positions the wheel will go on the shaft.And by all means get a second opinion from another alignment shop if you can't find anything else wrong.

Hope this helps.

Brett

·
Registered
787 Posts
The first thing to do is get under the vehicle and see what he did, there should be enough adjustment on the tie rods for him to straighten the wheel. I think he was just in a hurry and gave you that excuse because he didn't feel like adjusting the tie rods so the wheel was straight.
I had one mechanic do that on one of my cars and I made him adjust it until it was straight.

> I went to get an alignment on my '83 280ZX
> after installing shocks all around.1 inner
> tie rod and 2 outers. The mechanic couldn't
> get it to align. He said that he could get
> it close but the steering wheel would not be
> straight,I would have to take it off and
> reposition it. He also said that maybe the
> inner tie rod was not the proper length,he
> did'nt seem like he really knew what was
> wrong.
> Does anyone..Kip

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think he was just in
> a hurry and gave you that excuse because he
> didn't feel like adjusting the tie rods so
> the wheel was straight.
Yeah, I'd say the guy may not know what he's doing under there, If it drives straight, fine. But still, it may be easier to pull it than take it to someone and have them realign everything for the sake of the steering wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.