ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what would cause my airbag light to stay on? Clueless.

·
Registered
941 Posts
A bad airbag circuit? :p

I hear there's a bypass for the airbag circut and you can take it out. Or, you can take the car to the stealership and have the 10year airbag diagnostic done and they'll probably tell you whats wrong.

Personally part of the reason I got a 94 was for the airbags so I wouldn't disable them.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
First off, welcome to zcar, this is one of the friendlyist zcar sites out there and we are quite knowledgable.

Please note that if you have a question about your car chances are someone has already asked it, many times over. This includes the one you have asked today.

Teach a man to fish.....

If you goto search, type in the phrase "airbag light to stay on" which is a direct quote from your question. You would have found your answer in the second link.

That being said Im going to give you a fish. Ive shown you how to fish, so I hope you know how to do it. So heres your answer.

<http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=3&i=189451&t=189451> <http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=3&i=189496&t=189496>

Now that you have read this Ill paraphrase what your problem seems to be.
It sounds like your ECM is toast. If the airbag was deloyed then the ECM needs to be replaced, if your airbag was deployed then the airbag light will stay lighted all the time. Generally the airbag light only comes on when the airbags have been deployed. By following the simple steps in the FAQ you can determine what the problem is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey markmbsc!!!
you should follow zluster's advice. he is master....lol
i had the problem of the airbag light and i got fixed that problem of following his advice.
thank you so much zluster!!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and the fishing lesson:) I'm going to see if I can figure it out.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
your welcome, and please feel free to post back with other questions.

Oh, and welcome to the convertible club!

I have a 93 twinturbo convertible:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beautiful Z!!! How is the visibility out of your rear window? Mine is pretty bad. I looked at replacing the windows but I think I can get a new top for the same price. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
My top is in excellent shape for the age. However rear visibilty is poor compared to a 2+2 or coupe.

My rear window is not very cloudly or scratched. However there are some things you can do.

First off, clean it very throughly, then use a plastic polish on both the inside and outside. this will remove ALOT of cloudyness and scratches. The next step would be to use a wax, in the past I have used "nufinish" on plastic windows and it has improved the clarity.

Of course you could just replace the top, I have seen them advertised on ebay for a decent price. But there would also be a fair amount of work associated with installing the new top.

I just drive with the top down most of the time, that solves the problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the airbag ECM and where is it located? Is it expensive to replace?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never mind, went fishing and found it on another post. Am I to assume if the light stays on the airbag has been deployed at some time?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Thats usually what it means. My question to you is this. Has it always been this way since you bought the car?

If so its possible that the airbags were replaced but not the ECM(the ECM is the computer that controls the airbag deployment).

What we really need to do now is get you to run the codes, then post back with what you have. Its possible some errant sensor caused the light to come on, in which case just checking the codes will clear it and reset the light.

Now if we come back with the code that the ECM is bad and the light refuses to turn off chances are that the ECM is bad. At this point you have two options, try and find a used one that has not been deployed, which will cost some $$. Or find a used one that has been deployed, and have it reset. Having it reset will cost about $200 from a company in florida. I have not had this done, but looked at it as an option when I needed to replace the ECM on my 96.

Unfortuneatly for us 94+ owners the ECM we need only came on 94-96 US or CA 300zxs. Which means its pretty rare. you can find 91-93 ECMs on ebay all day long.

If it does come down to you needing to replace the ECM youll see what it takes by reading the FAQ on replacing the airbags. I can also step you through it for the specifics of replacing just the ECM.

Also if the next time you post something here is in a day or two this thread(message) will have slipped off the top of this page to be lost into the depths of history. So just make a new post so we can all see it again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.