ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 78 280 with air and that works fine.
however the heater doesn't work and since winter has really started to hit i need the heater. i have taken apart just about the entire right side of the dash in order to get to the vacuum tubes.....i was wondering where would a good place to get these and is there any way to test them to see if its the tubes or the valve or the selector?

thanks in advance, matt w.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> i have a 78 280 with air and that works
> fine.
> however the heater doesn't work and since
> winter has really started to hit i need the
> heater. i have taken apart just about the
> entire right side of the dash in order to
> get to the vacuum tubes.....i was wondering
> where would a good place to get these and is
> there any way to test them to see if its the
> tubes or the valve or the selector?

> thanks in advance, matt w.
Check the vacumn line on the right side of the fire wall (passenger side) make sure it has vacumn
off the manifold with no leaks
the frank

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> i have a 78 280 with air and that works
> fine.
> however the heater doesn't work and since
> winter has really started to hit i need the
> heater. i have taken apart just about the
> entire right side of the dash in order to
> get to the vacuum tubes.....i was wondering
> where would a good place to get these and is
> there any way to test them to see if its the
> tubes or the valve or the selector?

> thanks in advance, matt w.

I know the valves are terrible, the prev. owner of my 76 280Z replaced 2 of them and the 3rd one went kaput a little while after I got the car. I'm just glad it's stuck with the heater blowing hot. I think I'd just scrap that are run it direct or find another type of valve to replace it with. Preferably a manual one. If I ever tear into that area that's what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Heater Checks

Matt,
I have a '77 that has had some problems too. first things first - there are some things you didn't mention.
When you move your selector lever with the fan on high - will the air blow to different places? IE: If you select A/C or vent - does it blow out the dash vents and then if you select defrost does it blow out the window vents? Heat out the floor vents? etc.
If the air won't re-direct then you're correctin the assumption you have a vacuum problem. It is more likely that it is the vacuum source rather than the valves. I've had 10 years experience with two '77's and never had a problem with valves. Lots of vacuum leaks though.
You can get new hose at any auto parts store. Just take a piece in with you.
If the air re-directs when you move the lever then you have a problem with either a faulty heater control valve or a plugged heater core. You can access bothof them by pulling your glove box and heater fan. Awkward but not real difficult. I've done this several times. The heater control valve has a bad reputation for failures and leaking coolant all over the passenger floor board. If you have to replace it you will have to get the OEM Nissan hoses as you'll have to cut the old ones off to get it out and only the pre-formed OEM hoses will fit the tiny little space they are in.
Good Luck,
Phantom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.