ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if it is necassery to have the airpump on the engine of a 74 260Z.z. I'm not worried about the legal aspect concirning smog,I just wont to know if it will hurt the operation of the engine.Will it make the engine run rough or anything.I know that it is only on there to clean the exhaust gas at the exhaust valve before it is exhausted out of the engine.I dont see any reason why it should affect the running of the engine.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It won't hurt your engine at all, it just adds air to the exaust to help it burn a little bit more. I remember taking one off my father's Honda Civic and it went from 40mpg to 45mpg and added a bit of power, they take a good chunk of power from a engine though it won't show as much on a 6 cyl. but you'd still notice the difference. Just make sure you plug the exaust holes when you remove it. Another good thing to change is adding a electric fan to the radiator, it helps the off the line power a bit also. I did this among a few other things to my 280Z with dual webber dgv's and get 28mpg out of it now... Well, that was before I put the tripple mikuni's on. :)

> Can anyone tell me if it is necassery to
> have the airpump on the engine of a 74
> 260Z.z. I'm not worried about the legal
> aspect concirning smog,I just wont to know
> if it will hurt the operation of the
> engine.Will it make the engine run rough or
> anything.I know that it is only on there to
> clean the exhaust gas at the exhaust valve
> before it is exhausted out of the engine.I
> dont see any reason why it should affect the
> running of the engine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
> It won't hurt your engine at all, it just
> adds air to the exaust to help it burn a
> little bit more. I remember taking one off
> my father's Honda Civic and it went from
> 40mpg to 45mpg and added a bit of power,
> they take a good chunk of power from a
> engine though it won't show as much on a 6
> cyl. but you'd still notice the

But what about the emissions test? Would it adversely effect the results?(here in Washington state?)
I'm kinda thinking about removing the smog/airpump myself. What about just disconnecting the belt itself and leaving the pump on?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.