ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 240 and it is now smog exempt in Calif.I want to remove everything that is no longer necessary.My question is,will it run any differently if I disable and remove the air/smog pump and related plumbing?What do I need to remove and plug?It would be nice to clean up the engine compartment to gain easier access to things.Any help or diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
The easiest way is to just take the belt off the pump. If you want to remove everything you will have to plug the PVC valve on the manifold. K&N makes a filter to cover both the cranckase vent which is the big one below the distributor and the rocker cover vent, the small one on the very top of your engine. The air injectors to the exhaust manifold you could simply cut the tubes and crimp them shut or actually take the fittings off, cut the pipes out ond weld them closed and screw them back in. A header would be the ideal solution. As for all the vacuum lines I am not as familiar with the 73 all mine are 71s and they are different. The best solution would be to get a manual and check what vacuum lines to remove.
Idealy you would only end up with a vacuum line to the distributor, to the brake booster. Don't block off the vent line to the gas tank, I don't know which one it is on a 73 and thats why getting a manual would help.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hey MLC, are you in the Portland Oregon area? If so, and you don't want to mess with having to figure out what and where to eliminate, the mechanic I go to is up here in Vancouver, WA and he is extremely knowledgeable.

In fact, just going to the different auto parts shops in the area, when they see my car, and we get to discussing mechanics, his is the first name they use, and they say he's the best.

For others in the Pacific Northwest, I'll post his name and number here, but do me a favor guys and try not to monopolize his time to the point that I can't get in to get my car done.

M.B. Anderson (Matt) (360) 573-7314
1814 N.E. 99th St.
Vancouver, WA 98665

He's been doing ONLY Datsun / Nissan for over 20 years, and worked with his Dad before that. Feel free to use my name, don't think it will get you a discount or faster service though, just lets him know who's promoting his services. (Basic Selfish Rule, if he has plenty of business, he STAYS in business, ergo, he stays available.)

FWIW

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can remove the smog pump and associated bits and pieces although you probably won't see much if any improvement if yours was working properly.

The smog pump injects air through the air injector rail into the exhaust manifold. If you remove the smog pump, you have to plug that so it doesn't shoot hot exhaust out the air injector rail. If you're lucky you might be able to remove the rails from your exhaust manifold and then plug the holes, but more than likely the air rails will bust off leaving you worse than before.

Or, you can get a header that doesn' t have the injector rail ports, which would also improve performance. You'd have to have it mated to your exhaust, though, so you'd be spending a few dollars.

Oh, if you have the stock flattop carbs, you may want to buy a set of good dometops and associated linkage and air filter housing. Looks nicer and will probably perform better, if your flattops are like most everyone else's (sorry Al_260)!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.