ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,207 Posts
No. All were Aftermarket and mostly dealer installed..... right inside and taking up huge chunks of room at the passengers compartment. But they worked! You know, you can always roll down the windows....... later. shane-

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Yes, from day one, factory installed.

Not here in the USA, that setup was usually a dealer or port-added option marketed by Frigi-King or ARA.
In Japan and other markets, the 240 was available with A/C as a factory option. The setup was great, much better than the add-on units. In dash condenser, comparable to the system used on the later 260's and 280's.

· Registered
68 Posts
My 240 has factory air and it will be well used given that I live in sunny Arizona. I am planning on upgrading the system to a more modern setup, does anyone have any hints as to where I could get the parts for cheap (cheaper than Motorsport?).

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Motorsport isn't factory air...

ScaryFast, is your condenser unit under your dash, or right in the dash behind the center outlet? If it's not behind the center outlet, you do not have factory air.
If it's hung under the passenger's side of the dash, you have either Frigi-King or ARA. The ARA unit is more rounded, and usually comes with a control that screws to the side of the center console. The Frigi-King unit is more squarish, and has a metal bar across the front of it (firewall side) that it mounts to. They usually have a small control box mounted under the dash on the driver's side.
The factory air was controlled from the dash controls just like the late models, and IF I remember correctly, was also vacuum-controlled as well.

· Registered
589 Posts
I don't know whether or not it will be cheaper, but Carl Beck was telling me about a small system that works super well and fits right into the 240 "box" that he installed in a 240. He had to fabricate some brackets. He got it from Vintage Air.
www.vintageair.com I plan to eventually check into it and see if it is cost prohibitive for me. If you decide to look into it, l would appreciate it if you would let me know. It is hot here in Vegas, as well. Good Luck and Thanks, Ernest

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Vintage Air Makes Good Stuff!

I put one of their units in a Chevy Truck. They can fit just about anything...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.