ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a car that my son (16) purchased at the beginning of the summer and we have been slowly working out the kinks and getting it ready for high school transportation. Most of the assistance has come from this site and from zbums. Thanks (Maxima swap was a fantastic idea)

The problem we are working on now has to do with the AC system. I have checked the fuses and all are good. Problems are:

1.) The fan switch for the climate control systems seems to run backwards. It does not blow air on high, but does on off. However, if you set to switch to high (no air blowing) and then turn on the headlights, the fan will turn on to about half volume.

2.) When the fan switch is in the off position (blowing the most air) if you push the AC button to active it, the fan will turn off.

3.) I have no lights that activate on the climate control box for AC when you depress the buttor for AC nor do I have a light for Gas. I imagine that they should light up if the AC is activated or if out of gas.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
The AC auto button controls really suck on these cars. I really dont think its worth trying to figure them out. Perhaps an aftermarket ac can be hooked up instead. I gutted out my ac condenser and all from my 86 turbo. Less weight on the front end. At least 25lbs or so.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Why was the maxima swap a terrific idea? just curious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a reply to sportdriverGT regarding the Maxima swap.

I liked the maxima swap because it did a few things:

1. Increased the amps so we could run more stuff.
2. The original 300 zx alternator was harder to find and more expensive to replace than the Maxima.
3. I am not fond of v-belts and prefer multi-ribbed. They seem to last well and do a good job of not slipping. I just wish we could have come up with a way to use one large belt and "serpentine" it through.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you were to buy a used climate control module off of eBay, or elsewhere, and swap it in that would (most likely) tell you that the problem was somewhere else besides the climate control module, or it would be fixed, or maybe a combination of the two since you seem to have a light issue. Also, check the harness connection.

The cheapest way to start looking at the problem is to inspect all the little hoses--which are accessible--that go from the air conditioner to a set of solenoids (under dash above accelerator pedal) and then thru the firewall (passenger side) to the vacuum canister (in the engine compartment, on the front passenger side, close to the light). If they are brittle or are old replace them.

Its been a really long time, so this is the way I remember it. On my car the solenoid that controlled the air conditioner (cool air) stopped working so my hot air stayed on all the time. It didn't do this all the time at first, it was just sometimes. Then it became all the time. There are about 5 solenoids in the set. So I numbered the hoses that go on them so I could put them back in the correct order. I switched them around two at a time and then observed what worked now and what didn't work now. Eventually I figured out that a solenoid was bad and then specifically which solenoid was bad. Once I was convinced that was the problem a bought a new solenoid set and replaced the whole thing. I also saved the old working solenoids in case one of the new solenoids went bad in the future. Today you should be able to relatively easily find a used set of solenoids on eBay or elsewhere.

Maybe this will give you a little info as to what might be one or more of the problems you are having. If you haven't done so already you might want to search for past articles on 'air conditioner' to see what has been said before on this issue, or similar issues.

Also, you might want to take a look at this article on z31.com: http://z31.com/repairs/heater.shtml

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You were right. I got another climate control unit and plugged it in and the switch now works correctly.

I am still not getting cold air, but maybe I need a freon recharge. Who knows how long it has gone without a properly functioning fan, and since the AC won't even kick on until the fan is pushed past low toward high, it could have been out for a while.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.