ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: If I want to replace a faulty air conditioning related vacuum hose do I need to take measures to depressurize or evacuate the system?

Details: (you don't have to read this, to save time I summarized in question)

I noticed that my air conditioning has not been producing cold air as of Monday this week.

I had the air condioning system "serviced" and recharged 2 years back and have used it lightly since then. They checked for leaks at that time and everything checked out.

After reading through the FSM for Air Conditioning in my 85 N/A I discovered that there is a little red light on the Manual Air Conditioning controller (where you turn the A/C on) in the car. This little red light (top left), according to the FSM, will only light up during operation if there is a vacuum leak. After about 1 minute of use of the air conditioning the light comes on and stays on.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
162 Posts
The AC system is pressurized. Any part that is replaced requires that the system be evacuated with a pump both before and after the part is replaced, and then recharged. If you don't know anything about AC or like me, don't have the evacuation pump, take it to a pro, as you can hurt yourself badly.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If it is just a vacum line from the engine you do not need to depressurize the system, because freon, or whatever the new stuff is called doesnt go through the vaccum lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.