ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for an air compressor. General use in the shop and for working on my 280Z. Anyone have any ideas on a good model to buy? Horse power etc.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I recommend buying the biggest one you can afford or fit in the space you have for it. I have a Campbell-Hausfeld 3.5 hp electric with 20 gal tank. It pumps out 7.4 cfm at 40 psi and around 6.9 cfm at 90 psi. It does everything I need it to. Have had it for about 6 years now.
Before that I had a 3/4 hp Campbell-Hausfeld with about a 5 gallon tank. It got me by but that's about all I can say for it.

Bob A.

> I'm in the market for an air compressor.
> General use in the shop and for working on
> my 280Z. Anyone have any ideas on a good
> model to buy? Horse power etc.

·
Registered
715 Posts
> I recommend buying the biggest one you can
> afford or fit in the space you have for it.
> I have a Campbell-Hausfeld 3.5 hp electric
> with 20 gal tank. It pumps out 7.4 cfm at 40
> psi and around 6.9 cfm at 90 psi. It does
> everything I need it to. Have had it for
> about 6 years now.
> Before that I had a 3/4 hp Campbell-Hausfeld
> with about a 5 gallon tank. It got me by but
> that's about all I can say for it.

> Bob A.

I agree with bob, i have had one for the last year or two and it has worked flawlessly, and bigger is in fact better. Just as a side note, get a high quality air hose, youll thank yourself. The cheapies tend to coil back up on you.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
> I'm in the market for an air compressor.
> General use in the shop and for working on
> my 280Z. Anyone have any ideas on a good
> model to buy? Horse power etc.

Buy the absolute biggest compressor you can get, that will still work with your shop wiring or that your shop wiring can be modified to support.

Look for cast iron pump, induction motor, big tank, don't go oil-less ( blechhhh!!! ) That's at a minimum.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
56 Posts
> Watch for the Homier traveling tool sale. I bought a thirty gallon/5 hp campbell hausfeld upright (vertical tank) for $150 and an excellent 5 gallon pressurized sand blaster for $60. check out these guys when they come around or contact Harbor Freight for one of their catalogs. As price is always an object for me, these folks have serviceable equipment reasonably priced. I have equipped my garage from their stocks for about $1,000. mikey

·
Registered
165 Posts
> If you are going to be sandblasting (even with a small suction blaster) or running a DA sander for bodywork get at least a two stage.

My single stage puma 5 horsepower give off 13.5 CFM, and it will not keep up with a sandblaster or DA sander. I have to stop occassionally and let it catch up. (for you techies, I think the duty cycle is about 75%)

You can get a two stage starting at about $700 (Costco, or Harbor Freight)

If you aren't doing those high demand tools, you can go with a lot smaller compressor.

Go with the 2 stage and you won't be disapponted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.