ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 8.32am Sunday morning here, and I just woke up from a dream in which my father bought me a 2 seater 280zxt with digital dash... *sigh* Now, this would be impossible for 2 reasons... 1 being that my father already helped me buy my first Z, and from his point of view "that's it - no more - you're on your own". And 2 - 280zxt's (stock at least) don't exist here.

Anyway, back to reality - I have given up (for now) on my dream of converting my 79 into a turbo. I'd be looking at a cost of at least $2,000 (Aust) to get a 2L 4 cyl turbo, and that would blow my car budget out considerably.

So, now down to my actual questions.

If I did get an aftermarket turbo in my 79, would I therefore need to get some after market gauges etc for the turbo? I know if I was converting the L28E I could have just swapped the dash to a turbo dash, but if using aftermarket, would the stock turbo dash be an option or not?

Second - did the 10th anniversary come as a turbo? I'm thinking no, as turboes weren't out til 81. When I win tattslotto I want to import a 10th Anniversary car and convert to right hand drive. Of course, I'd also want to import a turbo...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Re: Aftermarket Turbo - gauges? & 10th Anni ZX

ok first putting a turbo on a non turbo engien is possable if you like melted pistons and valves. Because thats what you'll get. The valves aren't strong enogh to handel the combution also the compression of the pistons are way to high. My advice is get to a junk yard and buy a turbo parts car, make sure it's complete. Then switch every thing out engine, wiring harness, dash, and ecu. Then modiphy it for more performance. Also I suggest that you don't go with hydrolic lifter because they were only in the 83 and it's nest to impossably to get parts for them when they go bad. But if you do get them that head can be modiphed to use the rocker arms and I do reqemend this because that head is better then the other turbo head but only if you switch the hydrolic lifters to rockers.

tbs

·
Registered
250 Posts
Re: Aftermarket Turbo - gauges? & 10th Anni ZX

hey turbobluestreak have you ever put a turbo on a N/A motor? It sounds like you haven't or you did it wrong, i put a turbo on my bone stock N/A motor with 100000+ miles on it. it has been running fine for the last year. It does not smoke or use any fluids at all. i dont mean to be rude and i dont want you to get pissed off but it does work, the problem is that nobody triest he swap, everybody hears it wont work so they dont do it. I had a blown turbo motor and a good spare N/A so i got bored one week and did the swap and i am so glad i did. If you want proof it works, i took it to the drags and with a 5spd and a 3.90 it ran
R/T .718
60' 2.286
330 6.233
1/8 9.511
mph 74.93
1000 12.362
1/4 14.783
mph 92.87
temp was in the mid 70's
it ran several other 14.8's and 14.9's

ozzy, if you really want to do the mod write back on this post and ill get it im my e-mail, its alot of work and requires alot of tools but it is possible and it works great.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Certainly

I am interested, but so far as you say above, generally the opinion is "forget it".

My main problem is location - no turbos available here in Australia, so I can't just grab all the bits I need and whack them on my nonturbo.

Further, even if I suggest to local mechanics that I could source all the parts, they start talking about replacing injectors, pistons, etc etc etc, adding up to a humungous bill.

I'd love to hear your experience on doing the swap.

At the moment, it will have to stay a dream, as the budget is being aimed at restoring the car to a drivable state, and something like this is certainly a luxury, but hopefully one day, if it isn't too difficult...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.