ZCar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you want to install an aftermarket stereo in your 280zx this is how to do it.

Remove your old stereo (unplug everything, you will not need to plug anything back in)
Make or Buy a custom bracket for your new stereo. (its not very difficult)
Once you have your new stereo fitted now comes the wiring.

Run a new Power Wire from the battery, and make it long enough to reach your amp.
Now the ignition wire is yellow/grey strip (in the harness) and red on your new stereo.
Connect the yellow wire from stereo to your new power from battery.

now for the power antenna
Connect the accessory wire (blue) from your new stereo to the green wire from the harness.
also connect the blue accessory wire to a SPST relay (follow the diagrams I have provided)

Run new wire to you speakers!

-And so the finished project is a sweet stereo with a working factory power antenna.-

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
That kinda looks like my color changing jvc. At night I have the screen orange like the guages, and my buttons yellow to tie in with the hvac controls. Daytime the menue and controls i use an off white that matches the paint on the guages. There is a way to mix your own color but I forgot how. Im not happy with the cyclopse look, and opt to have the screen obstructed by the steering wheel in the line of sight and incorporate a pocket on the right side like the stock deluxe set up. I go by feel on the radio anyway and its just the controls, not the screen thats obstructed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine only goes blue and green, but i like the blue. I got this mainly because of the built in HD radio (which is pretty much the best thing since sliced bred) and the front USB port so i can load up a flash drive with music and play it.

Also is it just me or does the 280zx get better radio reception than most modern cars.
I can keep signal in my 280 for miles farther than i can in my ford ranger.
It must be the huge antenna.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I was happy to get an Alpine that played mp3s...it will let you connect an Ipod, which I do not have. Now is there anyway to hook an USB into an ipod connector?

I'd like to play with putting in a dvd player...not sure if it would swing out enough though.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
A lot of the time its just an issue of a cord that adapts. Ive seen websites that specialize in that. Mine has a usb port, it reads any kind of usb storage device, straight or adapted. It also has that aux jack thats like a headphone jack, which is standard for some devices. In other words I can charge my phone there as well as play audio from it. I like the connectivity.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
A lot of the time its just an issue of a cord that adapts. Ive seen websites that specialize in that. Mine has a usb port, it reads any kind of usb storage device, straight or adapted. It also has that aux jack thats like a headphone jack, which is standard for some devices. In other words I can charge my phone there as well as play audio from it. I like the connectivity.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
The relay you have installed is taking the place of the antenna relay located in the right kick panel. That red wire you have labeled as going to antenna...is that an add on wire?

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you have a 82/83 and want bitching Betty to work you have to use the original speaker wires as the stereo goes though her and she cuts out the stereo sound and has her own amplifier that is not a floating ground.

In this case a floating ground adapter must be installed at the stereo speaker outputs. This device will alow for the common negative ground and alow you to keep bitching betty hooked up ifr you want. The factory radio used grounded negative speakers.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
You are correct...I just kept the original wiring to the front speakers. My dilemma is finding the correct wire to hook the blue wire to that powers the antenna. The blue wire at the antenna switch originates at the antenna relay and terminates at the antenna that either raises it or lowers it. The wiring inside my radio console has been rerouted. One of them connects to that blue wire to the aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
palladin said:
The relay you have installed is taking the place of the antenna relay located in the right kick panel. That red wire you have labeled as going to antenna...is that an add on wire?
Yes the red wire is added in, i just spliced it into the antenna wire; because i did not want to actually cut any of my factory wires. (if i was ever to re-install the factory stereo)

As for the antenna relay in the kick panel. I was unaware of this, but this is the way i figured out how to move the antenna. When i applied power (from the stereo acc) to the antenna wires it never tripped any relay.

*Also I just made a few changes in the diagram, I corrected the Battery and the Stereo Wire Colors to match what I had used in the pictures. With some more small changes to make it more clear.*

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
May be that the antenna relay is inop. My blue one was intermittant, which is why I rewired it. In the process I found there was one cracked solder joint and one joint not soldered at all.

Attached...if this crappy site will let me...and you noticed Dan deleted our thread on how discontent we were instead of getting Yunger off his lazy butt to fix it...is a pdf file showing a clean page of the schematic and the one I traced. The 2nd page is light as my printer is low on toner and the print was grey. Worked out as it brings out the colors. It would appear the key is to find that wire that used to plug into the stereo unit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am no expert at reading schematics, but it looks to me that "L" is the power out of the relay. The antenna switch directs the power directly to the antenna.

The only wire coming from the stereo to trip the relay is the "G" green wire. (So now I'm felling dumb for doing this the way i did after realizing this)

Connect you blue wire from aftermarket stereo to the green wire, then you have 2 options.
- keep the antenna switch (im not sure why you would, because you can press a button on your aftermarket stereo to do this)
- or wire "L" which i believe is solid blue directly to "LR" which is the Blue/Red stripe. (this should make the antenna move up and down as the aftermarket stereo intends it to)

Let me know if this helps/ how it work out.

*You shouldn't need the "LW" anymore because it looks to only take the antenna down when you press the button its always down. They "Y" wire looks like it would make the antenna go down after power is removed from the green wire. (My antenna works perfect the way it is without the "LW" wire.)

as you said earlier all i did way bypass this relay to use my own and now i'm realizing it, but the one thing i missed was connecting "L" to "LR"

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Was playing with it last night. The green wire definitely triggered it. The problem is there is 2 green wires at the relay and only one shows up at the radio. It will not trigger it. The other green wire ends up at the multifunction dash warning assy. So it looks like I'm gonna have to run another wire....now here is the rub....then it stopped working. I'm sure it is the gren wire but back to the drawing board to figure this one out.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
The green wire I needed was hidden in the loom. Once it was connected to the cd blue wire, all was fine. So you may have to track it down. The 1st pic is the ant relay in the kick panel. The next is the wire at the relay and the 3rd is the wire as it plugs into the dash harness.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.