ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been covered in the not to distant past, but I'm a newcomer so bear with me. I have an '82 ZXT that I love in every aspect except the rear suspension. Some owner at some point has done SOMEthing to tighten up the hiney of this car so that the axles might as well be welded to the unibody. Plus it rides about an inch or more higher than other ZXs. I've been driving it around for a couple of years this way, figuring since it doesn't squat on acceleration like most ZXs, I'm probably coming out ahead.

I've been eyeing aftermarket spring/shock combos and like what the Eibach progressives do to the look and (apparently) the drivability of other types of cars. Anyone have any experience with them on ZXs? Any experience with any other aftermarket springs? Suspension techniques, etc.? Should I just stick a set of (new) stock springs on and shut up? As long as we're on the subject, any opinions about aftermarket sway bars vs. stock. I'd really like this car to handle better.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I'm not a real big fan of lowering springs for street driven cars as I've posted before and I'd recomend the Euro springs (stage1 1) offered by Nissan Motorsport coupled with their Koni shocks. Koni's are my personal favorite but others may like different brands, there are others that are good but Koni's are the best I've used so far.
Larger Sway bars are a must for good handling, they are worth every penny.
I don't like lowering the car more than .5 for street driving just because streets arn't perfect, don't have ideal angles on corners and you can always find a good rut or bump on a sharp curve and with a lowered car that hasn't had the camber fixed if you hit a good bump on a high speed corner you get one heck of a negitive camber resulting in a low tire contact patch (gets worse with wide high pressure performance tires) and this can get scarey. It's even worse with radial tires because once they break free they don't regrab very well. You also wear the tires out faster also and if you use a soft performance tire you will go through them pretty fast. The Stage 1 Euro's only lower the car a very little and for the street it's great. If you get some 16 rim's/tires to go with this setup you will be hard to beat. A front air dam is a must also, has many benifits with the Z's as the stock air valance gives lift at higher speeds, the dam gives better handling at higher speeds, better gas mileage and quicker high speed acceleration due to lower air friction. Rear spoilers are a waste of money and are just for looks so if your just interested in performance don't bother with one.
I've been playing with Z for the last 15 years and have tried just about everything with the suspension and this is what I've ended up with as far as preferences go for street driving. Racing is a whole different story though. If you lower it any make sure you get the bump stops for the struts, I've had to replace a few struts before I learned that one and the struts I use are expensive. Good luck...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BW,

Thanks for the great information. I wasn't aware that Nissan Motorsports offered the Stage 1Euros for the ZXs (understood they were just for the early cars), but will definitely check this out. The Konis, too.

Suspensionwise, I'd really like to do this car right the first time, so I really value your experience. Any specific recommendations on an air dam or size/manufacturer on the sway bars, front and rear? How about those 16 inch wheels -- type, offset, etc.

Incidentally, my main interest in the Eibach springs was that they DIDN'T lower the car that much. The info on their website says about an inch. Plus I like the idea of progressive springs.

Once again, thanks a lot. You've helped.

John

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> BW,

> Thanks for the great information. I wasn't
> aware that Nissan Motorsports offered the
> Stage 1Euros for the ZXs (understood they
> were just for the early cars), but will
> definitely check this out. The Konis, too.

> Suspensionwise, I'd really like to do this
> car right the first time, so I really value
> your experience. Any specific
> recommendations on an air dam or
> size/manufacturer on the sway bars, front
> and rear? How about those 16 inch wheels --
> type, offset, etc.

> Incidentally, my main interest in the Eibach
> springs was that they DIDN'T lower the car
> that much. The info on their website says
> about an inch. Plus I like the idea of
> progressive springs.

> Once again, thanks a lot. You've helped.

> John
JOHN ,

I HAVE A 82ZX THAT I HAVE REWORKED THE SUSPENSION .
I FIRST WENT WITH EIBACH RATE PROGRESSIVE MATCHED SPRINGS, AND THEN USED KYB SHOCKS,THEN I WENT WITH SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES SWAY BAR KIT, AND THEN I WENT WITH URETHANE BUSHINGS AT THE FRONT AND REAR CONTROL ARMS WITH THE ADDED CAMBER ADJUSTMENT KIT FOR THE FRONT CONTROL ARMS AND ONE PER CONTROL ARM FOR THE REAR.
WITH THIS COMBO. THE CAR WAS LOWERED 1 , I DON'T HAVE THE SQUATING IN THE REAR , AND PLUS I ALSO HAVE WAY LESS BODY ROLL.
YOU CAN ALSO BE ABEL TO ADJUST THE CAMBER IN THE FRONT AND REAR AS YOU NEED IT , WHICH YOU CAN NOT ADJUST ON A STOCK SUSPENSION.

MD MIZE

·
Registered
368 Posts
> BW,

> Thanks for the great information. I wasn't
> aware that Nissan Motorsports offered the
> Stage 1Euros for the ZXs (understood they
> were just for the early cars), but will
> definitely check this out. The Konis, too.

I too am interested in pursuing this combination. Can you tell me how to contact Nissan Motorsports? Thankyou.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.