ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the tank out of my 72 trying to get it cleaned. I have not taken it anywhere yet, and thought I would ask first. I know some of you have a fuel cell in the back, where did you mount it and how does it look? Which one also. I was looking through summit and if the right fuel cell is about $100-$150, I will go that route. My tank is very rusted and it will cost about $50 around here to boil it. HOw does it look also from the outside? How do you fill it? I do not want to modify the car, ie cutting spare tire location out, loosing spare tire (I need one of those around here), big blank spot where old tank used to go, etc.
Thanks,
Joshua L.

Oh, will a 77 tank fit my 72? I have access to one of those if I HURRY, the car is being junked either today or tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Re: involves cutting

Fuel cells involve cutting out the spare tire well and mounting it there. Of course you lose your spare, plus have to run new fuel lines to the tank. Not a good idea if you just need a stock replacement. Get a used tank. Try All Z East. So far I have had very good luck with them. Very nice to deal with and they have access to a huge inventory. I don't think the later tanks will fit, but I'm not very sure. Try looking up the two tanks in a catalog and seeing if they are the same part number.
greg
71 240z

> I have the tank out of my 72 trying to get
> it cleaned. I have not taken it anywhere
> yet, and thought I would ask first. I know
> some of you have a fuel cell in the back,
> where did you mount it and how does it look?
> Which one also. I was looking through summit
> and if the right fuel cell is about
> $100-$150, I will go that route. My tank is
> very rusted and it will cost about $50
> around here to boil it. HOw does it look
> also from the outside? How do you fill it? I
> do not want to modify the car, ie cutting
> spare tire location out, loosing spare tire
> (I need one of those around here), big blank
> spot where old tank used to go, etc.
> Thanks,
> Joshua L.

> Oh, will a 77 tank fit my 72? I have access
> to one of those if I HURRY, the car is being
> junked either today or tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The addition of the fuel cell does require that you cut out the spare tire trey. It takes a good day to fab the brackets and mount the tank, then cover the large hole with an aluminum sheet and rivets. I am going to have a feature on this in my new homepage that is still being developed. The part # for the 71 tank and the 77 tank will be different. The later tank had baffles because of the fuel injection. I have heard it will work in the earlier z's and is good when also converting to fuel injection. Try calling around to some of the z shops to see what they say about the conversions.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
The best option for you would be to get a 75-76 fuel injected gas tank. In these years, prior to them modifying the spare tire well, you can get a tank with a bigger capacity, a baffle(not as good as later ones but way better than the 240Zs tank), and bigger in and out lines. I also converted the filler neck to the 75-76 setup, only minor modification to the diameter of the gas filler neck area. Also you will need at least one of the longer straps. The gas vapor lines are slightly different to, but it was to hard to do. The sender unit is compatible as well, you just have to adapt to the new electic lines.
Hope this helps.
Later,
Tim Deesen
71' 240ZT
CA TS 240ZT

> I have the tank out of my 72 trying to get
> it cleaned. I have not taken it anywhere
> yet, and thought I would ask first. I know
> some of you have a fuel cell in the back,
> where did you mount it and how does it look?
> Which one also. I was looking through summit
> and if the right fuel cell is about
> $100-$150, I will go that route. My tank is
> very rusted and it will cost about $50
> around here to boil it. HOw does it look
> also from the outside? How do you fill it? I
> do not want to modify the car, ie cutting
> spare tire location out, loosing spare tire
> (I need one of those around here), big blank
> spot where old tank used to go, etc.
> Thanks,
> Joshua L.