ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of postings for aftermarket electronic ignitions but it generally has me a bit confused.
I am upgrading my existing motor peripherals in preparation for a new, SLIGHTLY modified L28. It will not have a wild cam or be boosted in any way. Standard stuff, flat tops with an N42 head, an improved cam, and good breathing in and out. An MSD has been recommended but I'm not familiar enough with it to feel confident at this time. I don't need a $1,200 fully programable unit as my engine won't benefit from it.
Recommendations?
Thanks,
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Bill, I'm by no means an expert on it, but planning to do the same thing(more or less), i'd say keep your dist. and just add a hotter coil and good wires(if not allready purchased). Now yoy can get a tweeked out dist. with performance curve, but they, generally don't have emission stuff in them, making passing strict tests hard. BTW, just got Racetep catalogue, they sell Tweeked out ZX dist. for 180$.

Stan.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I've seen a lot of postings for aftermarket
> electronic ignitions but it generally has me
> a bit confused.
> I am upgrading my existing motor peripherals
> in preparation for a new, SLIGHTLY modified
> L28. It will not have a wild cam or be
> boosted in any way. Standard stuff, flat
> tops with an N42 head, an improved cam, and
> good breathing in and out. An MSD has been
> recommended but I'm not familiar enough with
> it to feel confident at this time. I don't
> need a $1,200 fully programable unit as my
> engine won't benefit from it.
> Recommendations?
> Thanks,
> Phantom

JACOBS. I bought a Jacobs kit for my 79 280ZX and they guarentee more mpg and more hp or your money back. They say you will get 8.6 more hp at the wheels and 2+ mpg. When I put mine on I got 4+ mph. I'm not sure about how much HP it added but I can feel the difference.

R.J.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
> a bit confused.
> Recommendations?
> Thanks,
> Phantom

Hi Phantom- I installed a Mallory UniLite in my '82. Tech support from Mallory would have to improve to suck, but that's another story. Since I got it straightened out I love it, and can help you avoid the problems I had. The MSD is very popular in Drag Racing and everyone that I have talked to says that there is a difference after it is added. Much cleaner idle, snappier all together. I plan to add it to my car. You will need the tach adapter to get the stock tach to work, make sure and touch base w/MSD on that.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> a bit confused.
> Recommendations?
> Thanks,
> Phantom

Phantom,

I've been the cause of much of those postings.

I have an '82 280ZX turbo. I installed a Crane
H-6 ignition system and a PS-92 high performace coil. You'll have to purchase a set of low resistance plug wires (<800 ohms per foot vs. OEM wires at about 3,000 ohms per foot).

The H-6 cost $151, it is part number 6000-6240,the ps-92 coil cost $65. Plug wires about $60. While your at it, make sure your cap, rotor and plugs are new. You can gap you plugs a little wider. Yes, this set up WILL give you a performance improvement you will notice.

The H-6 is an amplifier that, with the coil, produce a stronger and LONGER burning spark. It was fairly easy to install. Crane has a great web site and their tech line is ok once you get in. IMO this is one of the cheapest next step performance mods.

Chuck

[email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Phantom,
I installed the crane XR3000 ign, and it noticibly idles smother and there is a little more snap when I accelerae. I have not replaced the coil with a high perfromance one yet, mainly because I am laizy and havn't made the effort. But from what I understand the coil is what really makes the difference and the eletronic ignition merely keeps better timing. Now on the high end eletronic ignitions ( like the crane high 6) the unit can extend the duration of the spark and deliver a hotter spark. Thus, you can open up the spark plug gap which will give you more performance. So, if you do it, get a good one and don't skimp. You don't have to get the digital ignition, but get the best coil you can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.