ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the thought came into my head the other day that shortly im going to be putting a very large ammount of power the ground in my car and im planning on having traction. So knowing ive got a good clutch a freshly rebuilt trans and well im not worried about the rear end and ive got a one peice DS the only thing in my drivetrain that im concerned with shattering are my axles. Does anyone know of a company making upgraded axles for our cars? If so please direct me to them cause I know autozone has a lifetime warranty on axles but that does run out after about the 30th axle.

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
The purpose of axles is to break before your transmission gets torn all to ****. Just get the AutoZone special--if you need 30 axles you need to change your driving style.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the 30 axles is sort of a running joke locally there is a story behind it. But, companys like TCI and a few others make upgraded axles for hondas just curious if anyone made them for Zs.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Hondas need axles because they're directly attached to the diff. in the transmission. much more harsh power transfer, much worse for putting power to the ground. Plus, a Honda, is a HONDA. An Economy sedan with economy parts. The Z32 is a sports car.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cache ive seen Zo6 vettes shatter CV axles the point is im trying to avoid that, because with the power ill realistickly be putting down to the wheels it does concern me.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Would you rather shatter an axle or blow the diff? I think the axles are pretty resilient... kind of like having a fuse in an electrical circuit.... you'd rather the fuse blow, then your electronics.
Just my $0.0000002

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know how a drivetrain works and what doing things to it does. Most people never have issues breaking things cause they never get the traction to break them in the first place. True there are a few 10 second Z32s out there im they are probably on stock axles but personally if I can spend some money to buy something that will hold up better I will.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
How much power are you planning on putting down, and what kind of wheels/tires are you going to be using to assure that all of that power gets to the ground? I'm only putting down 295RWHP, and I still slip a little bit with Z rated 285/35/18 Sumimoto's.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Let's try to focus here guys..

This whole argument about letting the axles break to prevent further drivetrain damage sounds good.. except...

To overcomplicate it, saying the 'death penalty' is legalized murder, for instance, sounds 'good' to many. However, that means taxation is legalized theft. Basicaly the argument collapses.

For example..why get a better clutch if it is just going to transmit more power that could damage the rest of the drivetrain? Sounds silly, but when you going for cvill's level it is just as foolish to say that about the axles.

Making a weak link on purpose is obviously not what he is going for. Yes FWD Honda's break axles, but so does every other type of drivetrain. Many are strong enough to take extreme abuse stock, like many of the 90's supercars like the z32. Like mentioned, the main reason FWD honda axles fail is because they are engineered [though overengineered like most honda parts IMO] not to withstand double the stock horsepower with race slicks like many attempt. Unlike z32's, they are not designed what so ever with racing as a purpose.

Not to mention axles blowing up can cause damage to other components, like a driveshaft can. A good friend of mine has a 440fwp honda, and the shop he got his driveshafts at custom makes them for only about 10% more than they would sell it if it was mass produced. There are probably many shops that will do this if you get the demonsions from your own.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If your going to run it at the strip why not go with a live axle and a 4 link setup. You'll be able to run a much wider tire and be able to throw as much power at it as you want and not have to worry about it. IRS setups are great for sportscars that are driven as sportscars. Drag cars are better off with a live axle IMO.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
cville300zx..........

Sorry if you've answered this before, but what are you running for clutch\pressure plate and flywheel? What tranny fluid are you going to run? I've "been there, done that" - may have a hint or two.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Hey cville, after reading your question, I talked with Robert at Z1 and the widebody is running stock axles, and runs its dyno queen 1000 +hp and he said they have never had axle trouble, nor have they ever seen any company that offers after market axles. He said the only option would be to modify axles from another car that are heavier to match with the Z's differential and that might help, but he said that it shouldn't be a problem on 500 rwhp

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TTurbo full RPS clutch and flywheel setup, tranny fluid royal purple. Also guys im not moving in my suspension just yet. I also understand that 500+rwhp Zs are fine for the most part on stock axles but if something was easily available I would be in the market by the end of the summer because my 500+rwhp number which will hopefully be closer to 600 will change by then if all goes as planned (which nothing has yet so who knows). Also I hate talking about stuff I want to do or have planned but my goals that I have are high and very attainable and I like to have everything planned well in advance so I dont overlook something. Also about Russels 1000+hp vert ive never seen a time slip on it and im really curious if it can get traction with that power and have the stock axles hold up cause honestly I dont see it happening. Another part of my reasoning behind this is simple and I know its foriegn to most of you but when you step up to racing for money and have the chance to make some nice cash on the side doing that spending some more money for reliablility is good insurance. Ive got a way to get axles made through a company if I ever seriously have that much need for them like I said if someone out there made them itd be something id seriously consider but having to shell out more money then what my cost is on there Honda axles scares me.

Also TTurbo what did you finally get your tranny issues taken care of I dont ever remeber reading if you did or not and do you have any advice on how to avoid having those problems?

Post Edited (Jan 3, 10:26pm)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
cville300zx..........

I installed another new transmission last spring and so far so good. I did however switch to Red Line Shockprook tranny fluid - 250 weight. I did so with the advice of a local Porsche racing shop that said the Shockproof significantly increased the life of their race car transmissions. Your RPS setup should be good - Fidanza flywheels won't handle 500+ rwhp ( I know from experience). Good luck and consider the Shookproof fluid.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I sell Royal Purple and get a good price on it not to mention I know its just about the best there is out there. Though any and all advice im given about something that might work out better is always nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.