ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an aftermarket air regulator for my 75 280Z. Wondering if there is an aftrmarket unit I can get for a decent price. Running w/o one now and it's OK but would like to have one. Not interested in buying a new OEM style. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there is very little chance that anyone but Nissan ever made one for it. If it turns out that you can't find an aftermarket unit, that would be the reason.
Seems like a simple device. Just a heating element that controls an air valve. Anyway, thought I'd give it a shot. I thought someone might have an aftermarket air regulator for guys that have changed to non-OEM intake manifolds. They still have to deal with cold starts.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think there is very little chance that anyone but Nissan ever made one for it. If it turns out that you can't find an aftermarket unit, that would be the reason.
I think I found one. $30.00 mounts anywhere and it appears the stock electrical supply will work. Beats the heck of of a 45 year old $212.00 rebuilt valve.
Idle Air Control Valve Fits: BMW & SAAB | eBay

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
geez just go to a junk yard and look at a 80's era import. its a bosch aux air regulator. prob set you back 5$ and they are easy to test, you could even do it in the yard. just hook up a 12v battery and see if the valve closes in about 15 minrgized. Us a couple lantern batteries in series to get the 12, or some other setup, just make sure its capable of flown about 200ma (that should be enough to warm the heater). the valve starts out about 1/3 open and slowly closes, it not motorized, it uses a bimetallic strip to move the valve so takes some time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
geez just go to a junk yard and look at a 80's era import. its a bosch aux air regulator. prob set you back 5$ and they are easy to test, you could even do it in the yard. just hook up a 12v battery and see if the valve closes in about 15 minrgized. Us a couple lantern batteries in series to get the 12, or some other setup, just make sure its capable of flown about 200ma (that should be enough to warm the heater). the valve starts out about 1/3 open and slowly closes, it not motorized, it uses a bimetallic strip to move the valve so takes some time.
Yup. Much better than the OEM option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.