ZCar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My stock fuel pump on my 77 280z is dead. There are some threads on here about aftermarket pumps but they don't really line out the details of the pumps. A lot of folks have used the MSD2225. The web says "Flows 43 gph (282 lb./hr.) gasoline @ 40 psi".
  • Is everyone putting it back in the stock position in front of the fuel damper?
  • are any other mods required?
This MSD unit has gone up in price and is currently selling for about 160 bucks.

I'm looking at this one by Evil Energy. I've used thembefore and have been happy.
It says "Flow rate:255 LPH(68 GPH) under 43 PSI(3.0 bar)".
- Is this within the acceptable range?
Its only 60 bucks and comes with a bracket that I don't have to modify or build up with rubber.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I would go OE, you can still get them. I would not trust getting stuck on the side of the road to a 60$ pump. That is my thoughts on it. last time I looked you can get them for about 280$

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recently bought a new OEM pump from Motorsports at a price of $388 (that was new without a core return). The gentleman I spoke with on the phone told me that they have almost doubled in price over the last year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, prices are crazy these days. I'm going with the Evil Energy. I've had really good luck with them.

I'm more concerned about the pressure but since no one seems to have any issues with a little overpressurization, I'm going to give it a run.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I recently bought a new OEM pump from Motorsports at a price of $388 (that was new without a core return). The gentleman I spoke with on the phone told me that they have almost doubled in price over the last year.
What the crap Z store? Are you trying to run us all off? 400 bucks for a fuel pump.... geez :(

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Hello. My stock fuel pump on my 77 280z is dead. There are some threads on here about aftermarket pumps but they don't really line out the details of the pumps. A lot of folks have used the MSD2225. The web says "Flows 43 gph (282 lb./hr.) gasoline @ 40 psi".
  • Is everyone putting it back in the stock position in front of the fuel damper?
  • are any other mods required?
This MSD unit has gone up in price and is currently selling for about 160 bucks.

I'm looking at this one by Evil Energy. I've used thembefore and have been happy.
It says "Flow rate:255 LPH(68 GPH) under 43 PSI(3.0 bar)".
- Is this within the acceptable range?
Its only 60 bucks and comes with a bracket that I don't have to modify or build up with rubber.
Any thoughts?
I don't think this would be a problem for you, but then again as already stated, you might run into to issues and get stranded. It's hard to tell if these pumps are reliable or even long lasting. Might be a good idea to buy two of them if you can cash it.

I run a pump from a Volvo turbo that I got at autozone. Rockauto still carries a good selection of stock pumps.

Bon

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I checked my normal sources including amayama and other OE dealers, everyone of them is pushing 400+...
Geez, guess inflation is real bad in the OE parts world. I swear I thought I saw them for around 250 just 6 months ago.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You probably did see that price then, but that was the best price I could find for an OEM pump now. I checked my old receipts and had replaced the pump in 2000 with an OEM pump from Courtesy Nissan for a price of $185 - and I remember thinking what a horrific price that was.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
New OEM are the best but you can't blame MSA for the price tag. You have to remember that there is an original manufacturer of the pumps, they mark them up and sell them to Nissan. Then Nissan marks it up and then the Nissan dealer marks it up again, then MSA has to make their markup. Would you rather that they didn't sell them at all? Be patient because that's coming soon to a theatre near you. Nissan is phasing out more and more parts for the old z's every year. Bosch was the original parent company on those pumps and they quit selling them about 10 years ago or more. The pumps that Nissan has are NOS and they will be gone soon. Don't count on Nissan bringing them back into production.
Make sure that these aftermarket pumps have a fuel pump check valve. If they don't have them you need one and I sell a good in line unit that is made out of aluminum alloy for just north of 26.00 to the forum users. On another note I can get the OEM fuel pumps rebuilt but it's not cheap. Same with the OEM turbo pumps but you have to have a core. If you want to get prices out of yesteryear, I use to sell the OEM pumps for 125.00 probably about 1983. I use to work on a couple of the 70's and early 80's era Cadillacs limos back then as well and they used the same fuel pumps that z's used but the cost was about 200.00 more than the Nissan pumps back then. I used the Nissan pumps and injectors on the Cad's and my customer loved the price for them. Especially when they were buying pumps & injectors from me installed and it was still costing them a lot less than what the Caddy dealerships quoted them for just the parts. I never let them in on my little secret.
Z man of Washington

Reactions: bonfire79

·
ZCAR.COM Vendor
38 Posts
What the crap Z store? Are you trying to run us all off? 400 bucks for a fuel pump.... geez :(
That is not our pricing, this is due to Nissan increasing the price. We offer some of the lowest pricing on Nissan parts, try finding the Nissan Factory OEM fuel pump for a 280Z for cheaper than we have it listed.

Our Website listing: Motorsport! Factory Electric Fuel Pump, 75-83 Z/ZX Non Turbo - The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z 260Z 280Z 280ZX 300ZX ( Z31 Z32 ) 350Z 370Z Parts

Here is a google search: 17011-p7211 - Google Search

1 - 11 of 11 Posts