ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally broke down (figured the weather was crappy out and thus could not drive it so why not get it done...) and installed the chrome water pipes and pulley which have been sitting on a shelf for the last 2+ months. At least in the meantime (picked them up last week) the newly smoothed and painted timing belt covers and fan shroud were ready for install.

Took some before pics but they came out all FUBAR...

Did the standard smoothing of the ribs on the fan shroud. For the timing belt covers smoothed over the fin thingies on the driver side and also the un-needed bolt holes on the passenger side since had already relocated the PTU. The paint is high gloss black with a pinch of silver flake.
Pictures not the best, left the good digital camera at the office so had to use the standy by which is much lower resolution.

Yes, I know, my picture taking skills need some work...

While we had it up in the air went ahead and changed the oil as well. Still would have rather the weather been nicer but WOW!, it is amazing how much better the engine bay looks with the timing belt covers and fan shroud smoothed and painted!

Cannot wait to swap the plenum out for the Ferrari red wrinkle coated one, matching throttle bodies and the chromed throttle linkage assembly.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
"smooting" consisted of what process? looks nice.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I smoothed the fan shroud and then took it and the timing belt covers to my body & paint guy. High gloss black with some metallic silver flake, just a pinch. Wish I could get some pictures that do it justice though...

Smoothing the fan shroud was basically using a handheld orbital sander (the Black & Decker Mouse) on the ridges till almost gone. Then a lot of hand sanding, 150-250-300, etc., etc. until 800 grit. VERY tedious.

The holes on the TB cover were filled in by the body shop with some sort of plastic body shop stuff..

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frankly, if I had known how much the body shop was going to charge for the work would have gone with MegaZ's fan shroud cover. The TB covers were the majority of the expense but it would have been much cheaper with his.. Just an FYI and kudo to MegaZ for the quality of work. He made some of the batter tie down screw thingies for my SPL batter tie down and they look awesome!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, besides just cleaning the engine bay, sanding, repainting, etc. the throttle cable cover, TB covers and fan shroud are the single most noticealbe things you can do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.