ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 NA 300zx. After a 30 mile trip I turn my car off and all of the sudden it doesn’t want to idle. I had to drive it at fairly high RPM’s just to get it home. When I got out of the car I noticed a burned plastic smell. I know now that the smell was coming from the AFM, when I took it off it had that burned plastic smell. I ran the codes and I get a bad AFM code. I bought a used AFM put it on and it still doesn’t run right. There is a definite improvement but it still doesn’t run right. It will idle now but still hesitates when I give it gas. I drove it around the block and it shut off for a split second a couple of times. The engine doesn’t accelerate until I let off of the gas. I had the fuel injection recall work done on my auto a couple of years ago, would that effect the ECU analysis of my car? Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? I hope someone didn’t put something harmful in my gas tank. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Try a different TPS......fixed mine after new AFM produced the same problem. No clue why, just a suggestion by a forum member.

newlys

'85 z31

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. It turns out that the first AFM that the junkyard sold me was bad or it wasn’t the right one. I exchanged it for another one, put it on my car and ran the ECU codes. Now I’m getting code 44, which indicates normal operation. The only thing is the AFM they gave me is missing the screen on the output side. I pointed it out to the guy at the junkyard and he said “ just put a piece of screen wire on it, it’ll be alright” So now my next question is, how do you get the ring holding the screen on the AFM off? I have a good screen on my old AFM and would like to put it on the working AFM. Thanks

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Get in there and have a look. There is a large circlip holding in the screen. You should notice a very small indentation on the rim where you can insert a pointed tool (like a scriber) behind the circlip and lever it out.
Sometimes you need to slide the circlip around to get one of the ends nears the indent.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't have a tool small enough to get the circlip out, instead I had to use a small drill bit to drill a hole. The clip came out easily, installed the new screen, installed the AFM and now the old Z is running fine. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.