ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my car was running real rich. and i did everything in my power to get it running right.. the air regulator was giving me problems and i got it fixed(dont know if its right, but it works)..

so i did some checks on air lines and found no cracks and leaks.. so i went ahead to playing with the AFM.. after multiple tests i found it in my best interests to pull the slider back one notch on the contact slide thing..

so i did it, but it seems thats the coil is much more tight then the factory setting now.. the car runs like a bull now.. but im just concerned that i OVER compensated for a bigger problem.. does it sound like i tightened it too much..

also in changing the thermostat i cracked the top housing part.. that will be addressed in another post.. i need a new one..

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
The typical problem for running rich is the temp sensor connection and it's wiring.

Thoroughly check it. The AFM adjustment can cover up the root problem.

Check my new adm cal procedure in tech tips to see if your afm spring is in the ball park.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i think for 20 bucks im gonna say that my temp sensor is bad.. and just get a new one.. cause i know im just covering up another problem with the AFM adjustment i made..

your tech tips are awesome.. thanks

·
Registered
548 Posts
I agree with Blue more than likely your water temp sensor is bad or you have a bad connection there. Clean the plug contacts really well. You can check the water temp sensor if you have acess to an ohm meter

www.datsunz.net

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im just gonna get one.. advance has them for 18 bucks..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just realized that the sensor is more than likely the problem.. to add to that.. i had no thermostat in my car.. so the thing never got hot so even if the sensor was working it didnt get hot enough to lean out the mixture..
so now that its hot.. if the sensor is bad it still wont lean it out cause it thinks its still cold...
well to the parts store and then wednesday all day i will test this theory..

man i dont know what i would do without this forum.. i love this place..
everyone is awesome and full of knowledge.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i finally adjusted my afm today. tired of debugging and looking around for something that doesn't seem to exist at this point. i checked a lot of stuff and nothing failed the tests.

car fires right up now and idles ok.. still hunts a little at idle but doesn't die and sounds a lot better. low end power is there now, power feels smooth across the throttle range. it screams like a banshee when i get on it (no exhaust kinda makes that more fun). i still have some tweaking to do with the afm but im pretty sure that solved my problem of running rich. i, like you, fear something else is to blame but oh well at this point if it's at least idling and running good. i totally feel like i cheated but maybe that was just the problem all along. *shrug*

im going to do new plugs now since the fouling problem is gone and we will see how it goes from there. i did clean them yesterday, though. finally getting exhaust this week, also. nothing fancy, just 2 1/4 pipe w/o cat going back to a flowmaster turbo muffler. should sound pretty mean but not scream quite as much as it does now :)

thanks for your help, guys.

Post Edited (Oct 18, 9:35pm)

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
"man i dont know what i would do without this forum.. i love this place..
everyone is awesome and full of knowledge."

Totally Agree

Charles

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
If your car hunts a bit at idle, you may wish to tighen the AFM wheel another 4 to 8 teeth. It will lean the mix slightly but you will have cleaner plugs, better mpg and no hunt at idle.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
man i tightened mine quite a few teeth..
im gonna go get a water temp sensor today and hope that i can loosen it up a bit..

Post Edited (Oct 19, 6:38am)

·
Registered
264 Posts
blue, i got it running pretty good and then backed it towards running a little rich again just to be safe. you got it right :)

im dropping the car off at the muffler shop tonight and will have a wide band o2 bung installed (as well as the exhaust beyond the downpipe). once it's tuned, i'm getting new plugs, distributor cap and rotor. the current dist. cap and rotor are in good condition but the cap has a little crack by one of the screw holes from being on there a little too tight. plugs are still ugly from being fouled. i cleaned them up a bit but i will feel better with new ones once the mixture is right.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
I cleaned mine after fouling (diesel and brass wire brush) and got them to a so-so state and they cleaned themselves over time.

I recommend NGK ZFR5F-11 plugs.

btw if you use the fingering tip to find best "notch" when hand reving, you will find the Z to have more power but run too rich. Leaning it out bu going a few more notches will help.

The A/M meter will be a great addition!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.