ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on my AE. When I bought it there were Bilstein shocks on the rear and 5-way Tokicos on the front.

The Tokicos were completely gone - one side would actually lock up when the temp was below freezing. The Bilsteins in the rear were unneccessarily harsh over any bumps.

I replaced the Bilsteins in the rear with brand new adjustable OEM shocks (I purchased from nissanparts.cc before they were NLA). I got rid of the Tokicos up front and put in some old OEM fronts (they don't work).

I do NOT plan to autocross or drag race the car, but I do like a sports car to drive like a sports car - some harshness is part of driving that type of car.

My questions are:

1.) Are fully functioning 5-way Tokicos as good as everyone say they are, in comparision to stock struts/shocks?

2.) One final try for finding OEM adjustable struts - anyone rebuilding them, or otherwise salvaging them?

3.) Are polyurethane swaybar mounts and end links a worthwhile upgrade?

4.) Are the AE swaybars larger than standard 84 Turbo bars? Are the bars solid or hollow?

5.) Will a front strut tower bar make much of a difference (extra oversteer is okay for me)?

6.) Do the 1" lower springs that come with the Tokico 5-way kit on shox.com cause much negative camber? Currently, my AE has absolutely no sag or excessive negative camber - it sits pretty high.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
#1) I like them very much, but all I had to compare them to were worthless busted up stock shocks/struts.

#2) You can always dream

#3) Yes, 20 year old rubber is no good.

#4) I'm fairly certain, yes they are.

#5) It will make more difference than a rear strut tower bar.

#6) They will cause negative camber. Only by using stock replacement springs will you have no camber chage. If you're worried about the camber, look around for a full set of SS springs. They have a very good spring rate and will not change camber. But they also will not lower your car any.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
well finding the SS springs is just as easy as finding the Stock adj shocks and struts!!! you can lower it and you fix your camber, check out Az-Bum's site for that info.

I lowered my car, I figured what the **** I'll be changing the rear tires more often :)
but it is a sports car and it is rear wheel drive and I know I drive it a bit on the rough side so I'll be changing tires just as often even if I fixed the camber!!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
A little negative camber is good if you plan on going around corners. In laymen's terms', when you corner hard, the tire will "roll" an thusly causing the rest of the tire to contact thru the turn. This gives you more rubber on the ground in a turn, which give's you better traction, which allows you to corner faster. If you have no negative camber, when you turn, the tire will roll, causing part of the tire to lift off the ground. The factory camber (I belive it is -2 deg., but not sure) is almost perfect for Auto-X.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.