ZCar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’m onto the rust repair portion of my restoration. There’s a few spots where the rust didn’t work it’s way through the metal and is pitted out. My question is, if I clean up the pitted out area, treat the metal with rust inhibitors, and then smooth it out with body filler, is that an acceptable repair or would cutting it out completely and patching it be a better idea. Ideally, I would like to keep the patch welds to a minimum. The area with the pits is also completely covered by the rear bumper. I attached pictures for reference. The area is the drivers side lower rear quarter panel. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

· Registered
320 Posts
I believe you can work over some rust from what I have read, mostly from reading the SPI forum. Basically clean it up like you have done or possibly more., then treat it with Ospho. That is an acid which I believe is supposed to convert too.

But, some of it may be to deteriorated. I think if you poke at the fender area with an awe that it would go through and the condition of the back side of those areas needs to be assessed also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
226 Posts
If the metal is solid enough that you can't punch through it with a screwdriver or other pointed object it might be salvageable. If so, go over it well with a wire wheel, treat with ospho, remove the ospho, paint it with epoxy primer, then smooth over with filler.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts