ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyones opinion on lowering a 70 Zcar? I do not want the car sitting on the ground but it seems as if the front end sits up higher than the back. If possible, I would like to keep from making the car ride rough. This is just a daily use driving car, not a racer. Opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If your suspension is in good shape and properly installed, your car shouldn't actually sit higher in the front than in the back. Yes, there should be a larger gap in the wheelwell on the front than in the back. This is merely a styling feature of these cars. If you measure the distance from the lip on the bottom of your rockers front to rear, they should be virtually the same.

If you lower your car, the back will still "look" lower than the front. What you can do is either get coil overs and adjust as you like, or add shims to the rear strut mounts to raise the rear end. Remember though, if the wheelwell gaps are even, your back will probably be higher then the front. Just keep this in mind for handling reasons.

·
Registered
645 Posts
What mattz said...

The only way you can get that rake effect is to either cut the front springs, shim the back, go coil overs ($$$) or put smaller tires on the front.

The proper decision to make depends upon what you are going to do with the car. If it's just show, cut the springs. If you're going racing do the coil over thing.

I put Eibach progressive rate springs on my 72. Lowered nicely, not too harsh due to the progressive rate and the right price for me. The ride height is even at all four corners but the wheel well gaps are greater in the front than they are at the back, as they were with the stock springs.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on the wheel well gaps. Look at a BMW 3 series or a Volvo S70 next time one drives by. The front gap is way bigger, you just don't notice it because it's not your car and you're not anal about it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
BTW.......

Make sure your gaps are the same on both sides (ie left rear vs. right rear). Mine aren't because my control arm bushings are worn out. I'm going to get adjustable bushings this winter though and I'll post a message to tell everyone of the outcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.