ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rebuilt a '83 na zx and have a timing problem. Engine idles great, but when throttle advanced, timing light shows an imediate drop of mark to, say 10 degrees after TDC and engine backfires, runs slower, etc. What could be the way to diagnose? Much appreciate the help. Thanks. Steve

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: Advance prob</b>

It could be two problms. The first is that you did not put the timing chain on right. Do you buy a new timing chain kit? The second is that the oil pump and distributor have to be line up and the engine on TDC. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First check your timing mark at TDC, if it's right pull your distributor and check the angle of the drive coming out of the oil pump, it's very easy to get it off a tooth when you reinstall it. Look at the picture in the manual, I used a pair of long needle nose pliers to hold the shaft as I slid the oil pump up. this alignment is critical, and probably your problem.

·
Registered
787 Posts
How are you setting the timing? On the 83 na you have to disconnect the connector on the side of the ignition module on the side of the distributor. The connector is a electronic advance.

Just disconnect it and set the idle to between 750 and 800rpms and set the timing. Then plug the connector back in (you might have to adjust the idle again) then you should be set right.

Hope this helps you out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.