ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
> This is the next suspension mod to my 78.

> Anyone tried this system?

> Any comments?

I'm running 2 coilovers on my Z. Not this particular setup, but it's nearly identical (I forget the name, I'll have to look it up). When I had the springs installed, I had the struts cut 2 to allow for the shortened springs, and let the car sit lower. Personally, I love this system. It works great, and being able to dial in the front and rear is definetely a plus. It is somewhat stiff, I'm running 175lb springs. But, I'm also running Tokico Illuminas, and with them set a 2, daily driving isn't really that bad. An awesome system altoghther, and I would recommend it for your Vellarossa conversion, no matter which brand you use. They're all pretty much the same. By the way, my 2.5 exhaust scrapes on quite a few speed bumps, but this is inevitable when you go this low with a Z car. Handling is outstanding, in fact it is almost scary how fast I can take turns now. I recently played around with a '99 911 on a very curvy mountain highway , and was able to keep up with him in the turns, I think he was quite surprised. He gave me the 'nod' when we got to traffic. I love my Z.

·
Registered
28 Posts
> This is the next suspension mod to my 78.

> Anyone tried this system?

> Any comments?
Steve,

I have it all on my race car. Most of the suspension was fabricated in my garage including the coilover springs, shortened struts, camber plates, and adjustable t/c rods. If you have a lathe and access to a mill, you could duplicate the whole thing for not a lot of money. One thing different that I did was use a non adjustable racing strut from Tociko in the front and the 5 way Illumina in the rear. Seems to work very well with 300/325 lb springs. With softer springs and lighter settings on the struts, you should have a firm but very low ride. The header does drag, however. There are about 3 places at Mid Ohio where the collecter hits the track pretty hard. It's a great set up. Good luck with the conversion! It WILL make your right foot heavier.

Dave B 240Z, 240Z ITS

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the same note, does anyone know if the coilover kits and camber/caster kits are interchangeble; that is one kit from one manuf. the other from another? the coilover kits alone are 400$ and the caster kits are around 300-400$ That's a lot of money. I'd like to do the conversion step by step. Thanks. Stan (See you at the convention!)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Adjustable height - one step at a time

> On the same note, does anyone know if the
> coilover kits and camber/caster kits are
> interchangeble; that is one kit from one
> manuf. the other from another? the coilover
> kits alone are 400$ and the caster kits are
> around 300-400$ That's a lot of money. I'd
> like to do the conversion step by step.
> Thanks. Stan (See you at the convention!)

You could do this one step at a time. I would recoment doing the camber kit 1st. You can align the car w/stock suspension and the camber kit. If you did the coilovers w/o camber kit you will prob. not like the tire wear until you get the camber kit installed.

I would recomend spacers between the strut and control arm. This will bring the control arm closer to parallel with the tie rod and will reduce the amount of bump steer experienced with suspension travel. Spacers require larger (15) wheel for clearance.

Another cost in a good setup are the cartridges (sp). These aren't cheap. I have Tokico Illuminas is 1 car. Koni adjustables in another. The Koni's will soften up more than the Tokico's. I like both....does any one know if the adjustable Konis are still available.

Regarding shortening of the strut housing and choice of catridges....I think there is a link at the IZCC web site to an article on using Jetta?? cartidges in front and Z front cartridges in the back??? when going REAL low....I'm not positive on this....haven't done it myself....;-)

tomh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.