ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired my first z and I am wanting to put a turbo in it. I was woundering the easiest way to do it. Can I find an old ZX and pull parts from it and if I can what parts are required to complete the projects (head, turbo, ......ect.)? Or would it be less expensive to swap the engine with a chevy 350 and supercharge it?

-thanks

· Registered
3,692 Posts
all depends on what you want. For the price of dropping a Supercharged LT1 in your 280Z you could build yourself a mean ass L28ET setup. I'd go with that.

But, if you like the V8 power, i'd get the Motor mounts, and the 700R4 mounts (they come as a set) from MSA. You could go all out and buy all the pre-fabricated @!#$ they've got, but some stuff like the driveshaft is way too expensive.

If you don't want to use the 700R4 tranny, 'sall good. From '79 on all Chevy small block transmissions used the same bolt pattern. (for bolting up, i'm saying) so you could use the 700R4 mounts on any one you want.

After that, just build a Chevy 350 from the bottom up. They're relatively cheap to build, and parts are more common for those engines than any other.

Adding a turbo, on the other hand, wouldn't be that practical. You've got such a high compression ratio, that you'd want to lower it to get any decent performance increase. For the price of getting dished pistons and putting them in, or a 2mm head gasket, ($240!!) you could pull an L28ET and put it in your 280Z

Check the forums for info on this. It's been done, but it's not practical.

· Registered
3,207 Posts
Look at www.Zhome.com N/C

N/C = No Comment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.